What maths does Digital-Signal Processing use? Does it apply to other areas?

In summary, DSP is a field of mathematics that has applications in communication theory, control systems theory, and analog electronics. It can also be applied to financial markets, where knowledge of multiplicative noise is useful.
Tosh5457
Hi, what mathematics does DSP use? And is it easy to use this knowledge to apply to other areas of study, where it's needed to study signals?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Algebra
Trigonometry
Calculus (incl. multivariable)
Differential equations (including Laplace transform and partial diff eq.)
Complex variables
Probability, random variables, and random processes
Applied matrix theory
Approximation theory (Newton's method, least squares, Remez, etc.)
Functional analysis (metric spaces, normed spaces, Hilbert spaces)

not saying you need all of these disciplines, but i have seen issues in DSP make reference to any of these mathematical fields.

within the EE discipline, you'll need:
Signals and systems (a.k.a. Linear system theory)
which has more about transforms.

DSP has application in:

Communications theory
Statistical communications
Control systems theory
maybe even analog electronics

so knowing something in those areas might be useful.

rbj said:
Algebra
Trigonometry
Calculus (incl. multivariable)
Differential equations (including Laplace transform and partial diff eq.)
Complex variables
Probability, random variables, and random processes
Applied matrix theory
Approximation theory (Newton's method, least squares, Remez, etc.)
Functional analysis (metric spaces, normed spaces, Hilbert spaces)

not saying you need all of these disciplines, but i have seen issues in DSP make reference to any of these mathematical fields.

within the EE discipline, you'll need:
Signals and systems (a.k.a. Linear system theory)
which has more about transforms.

DSP has application in:

Communications theory
Statistical communications
Control systems theory
maybe even analog electronics

so knowing something in those areas might be useful.

I don't know the 2 I put in bold, would I have problems studying DSP? And what do you mean by applied matrix theory? I know linear algebra, is that enough?

And I want to apply it to financial markets, would it be easy to apply the knowledge from DSP to study financial markets? I've seen a guy doing it with success, but unfortunately he stopped going to the forums he was in, so I can't ask him. But I'm pretty sure he only used the price to generate signals and etc...

And sorry to bother you with this, but in a post he says he has to deal with multiplicative noise, which uses mathematics underlying non-stationary and non-gaussian filtering. He says his trading system is based on this. Do standard DSP books talk about multiplicative noise?

Last edited:

1. What is Digital-Signal Processing (DSP)?

Digital-Signal Processing (DSP) is a branch of mathematics and engineering that deals with the manipulation and analysis of digital signals, which are typically represented as sequences of numbers. It involves using mathematical algorithms and techniques to process, filter, and analyze digital signals in order to extract useful information or perform specific tasks.

2. What type of math is used in DSP?

DSP uses a variety of mathematical concepts and techniques, including linear algebra, calculus, complex analysis, and probability theory. Some common operations in DSP include convolution, Fourier transforms, and digital filtering, all of which rely heavily on mathematical principles.

3. How is DSP different from traditional signal processing?

Digital-Signal Processing differs from traditional signal processing in that it operates on digital signals, which are discrete (i.e. made up of individual data points) as opposed to continuous signals. This requires different mathematical approaches and techniques compared to traditional analog signal processing.

4. Does DSP have applications outside of engineering?

Yes, DSP has applications in a wide range of fields, including telecommunications, audio and video processing, medical imaging, and finance. Many of the techniques and algorithms used in DSP can be applied to other types of data analysis and manipulation, making it a versatile and useful tool in various industries.

5. How is DSP used in real-world applications?

DSP is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as noise reduction in audio recordings, image enhancement in digital cameras, and error correction in wireless communication systems. It is also used in medical devices for analyzing and interpreting signals from the human body, such as EEGs and EKGs. In finance, DSP is used for analyzing market data and making predictions. Overall, DSP plays a critical role in modern technology and is essential for many of the electronic devices and systems we use every day.