Understanding Aging and Time Dilation: The Twin Paradox Explained

In summary, the twins paradox is a problem in time dilation that can be resolved by understanding the concept of simultaneity.
jbar18
After a fairly long time of thinking I had a decent grip on the concept of time dilation, it has suddenly occurred to me that I don't. My issue is with the concept of the aging twins thought experiment (or whatever it's called) where if one shoots off at some comparable speed to the speed of light they will come back and be relatively younger than the twin that didn't move.

I will quote from wikipedia: "Time dilation would make it possible for passengers in a fast-moving vehicle to travel further into the future while aging very little, in that their great speed slows down the rate of passage of on-board time."

My issue with this is that relative to each twin, they themselves do not move at all. I.e. Each will observe the other to move slower through time than themselves. So then, if one twin shoots off at, say, 0.9c, there will be significant time dilation, and they will observe their twin staying young while they themselves age. My question is, how is it possible for both twins to witness each other age slower than themselves? In other words, who would be older when the twin came back?

I've read through many threads like this in the past and nodded my head thinking I understood, but now it seems apparent that I don't.

Physics news on Phys.org
After a quick bit of research, I have found an analogous problem for length contraction called the "ladder paradox" thought experiment. I suppose this is kind of the same as that, but for time dilation. I still don't get it though. Can someone explain it so that this simpleton can understand??

jbar18, Maybe I can save you some time from reading that other thread. I think it takes them a while to get to the point. Your question is exactly why Einstein was asked. And if I recall correctly, it took him a couple months to answer. To me, the importance of this question doesn't happen until the twins get back together. In that case, the traveling twin has to turn around. That's what makes them different. If you try keeping tract of simultaneity from the traveling twin's point of view, then simultaneity jumps forward quite a bit along the Earth bound twin's timeline. So in a way, you could say that the Earth bound twin does a lot of aging during the traveler's turnaround. Does that help?

1. What is aging and how does it relate to time dilation in the twin paradox?

Aging refers to the process of growing older and experiencing physical and biological changes over time. In the twin paradox, time dilation occurs when one twin travels through space at high speeds while the other twin remains on Earth. This causes the traveling twin to age slower than the twin on Earth due to the effects of special relativity.

2. How is time dilation measured in the twin paradox?

Time dilation is measured by comparing the elapsed time between the traveling twin and the twin on Earth. The twin who experiences less time has aged less due to time dilation.

3. Why does time dilation occur in the twin paradox?

Time dilation occurs in the twin paradox because of the effects of special relativity. As one twin travels at high speeds through space, their relative motion causes time to pass slower for them compared to the twin on Earth who is at rest.

4. Can the twin paradox be observed in real life?

Yes, the twin paradox has been observed in real life through experiments involving atomic clocks on airplanes and in space. These experiments have confirmed the predictions of special relativity and the effects of time dilation.

5. How does understanding aging and time dilation in the twin paradox have practical applications?

Understanding aging and time dilation in the twin paradox has practical applications in fields such as space travel and GPS technology. By taking into account the effects of time dilation, scientists and engineers can make accurate calculations and adjustments to ensure the accuracy of timekeeping and navigation systems.