Is x^4 - 14x^2 + 9 = 0 irreducible in Q?

• Thread starter Machinus
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the question of proving that x^4 - 14x^2 + 9 = 0 is irreducible in Q. The suggestion is made to check the quadratic factors in mod5, but it is noted that if there are no zeros mod 5, then there is no need to check. Another approach is mentioned, which involves finding all the real roots, as this would limit the possibilities for the quadratics. It is also suggested to check for linear factors by testing potential rational roots. There is a brief mention of using the quadratic formula to find quadratic factors, but it is noted that the problem can be tedious and requires strong algebra skills.
Machinus
How can I prove that x^4 - 14x^2 + 9 = 0 is irreducible in Q? When I went to check quadratics in mod5 I get a lot...do I have to do long division on all of those?

Physics news on Phys.org
If x^4-14x^2+9 has no zeros mod 5 you don't have to check any of the quadratics which do have roots.

There is another approach if you find the mod p test keeps failing. You can find all the real roots without too much trouble. If x^4-14x^2+9 factored into quadratics over the rationals, then the roots of these quadratics would have to be chosen from the real roots. This very much limits the possibilities for the quadratics, you can check them all to see if they are in Q[x].

well if there were a linear factor, there would be a rational root, hence of form a/b where a is a factor of 9. so checkm that 1, -1, 3,-3, 9,-9 are not roots.

then if not, there are not linear or cubic factors. so consider quadratic factors. but if it had quadratic factors, either thye involve x or not. if not then you can use the quadratic formula toi find them, setting u = x^2. if they do involve x, then the x's are lost in the product so the two constant terms are equal and opposite in sign.

ah phooey, i get bored with these type of problems. they are too tedious.

i.e. i am not very good at algebra.

What is irreducibility?

Irreducibility is the property of a polynomial that cannot be factored into polynomials with lower degrees and coefficients in the same field.

Why is proving irreducibility important?

Proving irreducibility is important in many areas of mathematics, such as number theory and algebraic geometry. It allows us to understand the structure of polynomials and make deductions about their roots and behavior.

How do you prove irreducibility?

There are various methods for proving irreducibility, depending on the context and the type of polynomial. Some common techniques include using the rational root theorem, Eisenstein's criterion, and the irreducibility criterion for polynomials over finite fields.

What are some applications of proving irreducibility?

Proving irreducibility has many applications in mathematics, particularly in number theory and algebraic geometry. It is also important in fields such as coding theory and cryptography, where irreducible polynomials are used to generate prime numbers and secure codes.

What are some challenges in proving irreducibility?

One of the main challenges in proving irreducibility is finding the appropriate method for a specific polynomial. Additionally, some polynomials may be difficult to analyze and require advanced mathematical techniques. Moreover, proving irreducibility can also be time-consuming and require a lot of computational power.