A doubt regarding saturation mode of BJT

In summary, the conversation is discussing the saturation mode of a BJT, specifically the voltage requirements for forward biasing the emitter-base and base-collector junctions. While a voltage of 0.7V is needed for the emitter-base junction, the voltage at the base-collector junction is found to be less than 0.7V due to the Vce of 0.2V in saturation mode. This can be explained by Kirchoff's voltage laws and the equation V_{BE}=V_T\; \ln [\frac {I_c}{I_s}], which also applies to the base-collector junction. It is mentioned that for an NPN transistor, Vbc = +0.5V is considered a forward
dexterdev
Hi all,
I have a doubt regarding saturation mode of BJT. Saturation occurs when both emitter-base junction and base-collector junction gets forward biased. For forward biasing a silicon p-n junction only 0.7V is needed. So is for emitter-base junction. But not for base-collector junction. Because we know at saturation voltage across collector and emitter Vce is 0.2V. Using Kirchoff's voltage laws the voltage at base-collector p-n junction is less than 0.7V. Why is it lesser?

-Devanand T

Engineering news on Phys.org
0.7V is only an approximation.The more exact equation is:

[tex]V_{BE}=V_T\; \ln [\frac {I_c}{I_s}][/tex]

The Vbc diode obey the same equation. Actually I am working with transistors of Ic at 50uA range and the measured Vbe is about 0.5V!

Last edited:
dexterdev said:
Hi all,
I have a doubt regarding saturation mode of BJT. Saturation occurs when both emitter-base junction and base-collector junction gets forward biased. For forward biasing a silicon p-n junction only 0.7V is needed. So is for emitter-base junction. But not for base-collector junction. Because we know at saturation voltage across collector and emitter Vce is 0.2V. Using Kirchoff's voltage laws the voltage at base-collector p-n junction is less than 0.7V. Why is it lesser?

-Devanand T
No one said there is heavy current flow from B-C. It's just not reverse biased. For an NPN, VBC = +0.5v is definitely a bias in the forward direction. But does not correspond to significant current flow through a silicon diode.

thankyou for your replies

1. What is the saturation mode of a BJT?

The saturation mode of a BJT (bipolar junction transistor) is a state in which the transistor is operating as an amplifier with maximum current flow from collector to emitter. In this mode, the base-emitter junction is forward-biased and the collector-emitter junction is reverse-biased.

2. How do you determine if a BJT is in saturation mode?

To determine if a BJT is in saturation mode, you can use the following criteria:

• The base-emitter junction is forward-biased
  • The collector-emitter voltage is less than the base-emitter voltage
  • The collector current is at its maximum value

3. What is the difference between saturation and active mode of a BJT?

In active mode, the collector-emitter junction is reverse-biased and the collector current is proportional to the base current. In saturation mode, the collector-emitter junction is also reverse-biased, but the collector current is at its maximum value and is not proportional to the base current.

4. How does saturation mode affect the performance of a BJT?

Saturation mode can affect the performance of a BJT by causing distortion in the output signal. As the collector current reaches its maximum value, the transistor can no longer amplify the input signal and the output signal will begin to clip. This can result in a distorted output waveform and affect the accuracy of the circuit.

5. How can saturation mode be prevented in a BJT?

To prevent a BJT from entering saturation mode, the base-emitter voltage must be kept below a certain threshold. This can be achieved by using proper circuit design and including a resistor in series with the base-emitter junction. Additionally, keeping the collector-emitter voltage high enough can also help prevent the transistor from entering saturation mode.