Sclupture - Flotation Device

• Thread starter whitts_r1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Device
In summary, the speaker is an engineering student looking for information on designing a device to make a sculpture float in a pond. The sculpture needs to maintain a 5-10mm distance from the water surface and is 485kg. The speaker is seeking help with flotation and buoyancy calculations and has provided pictures for reference. The first step would be to determine the volume of the assembly and then calculate the necessary buoyancy. The speaker suggests looking up Archimede's principle for further understanding.
whitts_r1
Hello all,

Upon stumbling the forum during research I noticed some very helpful posts, and joined.

This is my first post, to introduce myself I am an Manufacturing Engineering student with a large project on my hands and looking for sources of information.

I have been given the task of designing a device that will allow a sculpture to float in a pond of 5m depth. The sculpture has to maintain a 5-10mm distance from water level at all times leaving only the sculpture visible and the device fully submerged! (4-5" WATER LEVEL DEVIATION THROUGHOUT YEAR) meaning sculpture will be moving up&down.

The sculpture is of 485kg. The idea is to place the sculpture on framework incl. floats which will keep the sculpture afloat, by "counteracting" the weight of the structure against the upward force created by the floats (buoyancy).

where am I going with this? Well... I hope that with your knowledge of flotation/buoyancy calculations etc. I could be pointed in the right direction of information that would help me find out how I can make this work! :DMany thanks in advance,
Paul.

Just some pics to maybe make more sense of this post!

(wood sculpture, grey = framework/structure, Yellow = floats, concrete base to sit on pond floor)

FULLSIDEB.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
You will need to determine the volume of your entire assembly so that you can determine the amount of water it will displace. This is a necessary first step.

In knowing the total volume figure, thus the amount of water displacement, how would you go about calculating the buoyancy needed?
next step?

thankyou for reply

Do you know Archimede's principle? If not, look it up.

Hello Paul,

It's great to hear that you are working on a project involving sculpture and engineering. I can definitely provide some insight and suggestions for your project.

First of all, it's important to understand the principles of flotation and buoyancy. Buoyancy is the upward force that is exerted by a fluid on an object that is partially or fully submerged in it. This force is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces. In your case, the sculpture will displace a volume of water equal to its weight, and this will create an upward force that will keep it afloat.

To ensure that the sculpture maintains a 5-10mm distance from the water level at all times, you will need to carefully calculate the buoyancy force and ensure that it is greater than the weight of the sculpture. This can be achieved by using a combination of floats and a framework to distribute the weight of the sculpture and create an overall upward force. You can also consider using materials with low densities, such as foam, to increase the overall buoyancy.

Another important factor to consider is the stability of the sculpture. As it will be moving up and down with changes in water level, it's important to design a stable framework and placement of floats to prevent any tipping or instability.

I would recommend consulting with a hydrodynamics expert or a marine engineer for more detailed calculations and design suggestions. They will be able to provide you with specific information on the size and placement of floats, as well as the materials to use for the framework and base.

I hope this helps to point you in the right direction. Good luck with your project!

Best,

1. What is a "Sculpture - Flotation Device"?

A "Sculpture - Flotation Device" is a type of flotation device that is designed to resemble a sculpture or artwork. It serves the dual purpose of being a functional flotation device and a piece of art.

2. How does a "Sculpture - Flotation Device" work?

A "Sculpture - Flotation Device" works by utilizing the principles of buoyancy. It is typically made of materials that are lighter than water, allowing it to float on the surface. The device is designed with enough surface area to support the weight of a person or object on top of it.

3. What materials are used to make a "Sculpture - Flotation Device"?

The materials used to make a "Sculpture - Flotation Device" vary depending on the design and purpose of the device. Some common materials include foam, plastic, wood, and metal. These materials are typically lightweight and water-resistant to ensure the device can float and withstand exposure to water.

4. Are there different types of "Sculpture - Flotation Devices"?

Yes, there are many different types of "Sculpture - Flotation Devices" available. Some are designed for recreational use, such as pool floats or inflatable rafts. Others are designed for emergency situations, such as life jackets or life rings. There are also artistic and decorative versions of these devices that are not intended for use in water.

5. Can a "Sculpture - Flotation Device" be used as a life-saving tool?

Yes, some "Sculpture - Flotation Devices" are designed and approved for use as life-saving tools. These devices are typically made of high-quality materials and undergo rigorous testing to ensure they can support the weight of a person in water. It is important to follow all safety guidelines and regulations when using a "Sculpture - Flotation Device" for emergency purposes.