Which type of actuator fits the job

In summary, a coil is charged electrically and uses magnetic repulsion to move a mass, while an air valve is opened to allow a small air jet to prop the piston up. The throw distance is limited to 1", and velocity control is a bonus but open to debate.
Guilty Spark
Ok, maybe not actuator.. I need to decide between two types of solenoids? Not 100% on what they are called but i'll try to get the gist of it across.

I want to be able to be able to build a system where a piston strikes a mechanism in a linear motion, and I am not sure if air or electric ones are more suitable.

Conditions:
-The piston must be able to hold up after striking for long amounts of time
(electric can overheat I have heard?)
-Must be able to "rapid fire" as well, not sure which is better for this
-Noise and clicking minimized
-Longevity of the actuators
(air more reliable?)

-Velocity control is a bonus, but open for debate if anyone has any experience

The pressure required is maybe a hard tap on a surface by your finger, not talking tons here.
Throw distance not more than 1", so a quick return may be possible without springs which satisfies the noise requirement I am thinking..

Any help is appreciated, I am looking to get advice before just blindly wasting more money here. :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ok, a more direct question to get us started... does electric have a faster response time.

Taking into account that I am going to be using micro pneumatic cylinders with a very small throw distance, is there going to be a problem with delay compared to electric?

You have:
A) A coil that is charged electrically propelling a mass of iron (the piston) using magnetic repulsion to move it.

or

B) A pressure differential (negative or positive- not sure if it matters) on one side of the piston, held back by an electric valve, with a small airline attached to make it move.

Assuming the the electrical signal and an air valve are opened at the same time, does the air piston strike the mechanism at the same time or slightly later?

For you "rapid fire" requirement could you use several solenoids set to fire slightly after each other to give a roll effect?

Cost would be a huge problem with that, the project is for a piano that is computer controlled.

So.. yeah. 88 keys, 88 solenoids already. Multiply that by two + the required hardware to drive them all. Owch. :D

Check this out, its probly the most taxing load id ever be able to put on it. What with the repetition etc etc. As long as it can handle that i'd be aces!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHBuKmyhbtQ&feature=related

How are you going to control the force on the keys?

Vary the voltage or vary the amount of air through the valve I think..

Im still weighing the choice of air/electric though, those challenges come later on.

Either of those would add a huge level of complexity needing analogue as well as digital outputs, have you considered piano lessons?

I have no musical talent lol, part of the reason for this project. Ill come up with something eventually.. just want to know which path to take so I don't waste time on the wrong one.

1. What is an actuator?

An actuator is a mechanical or electronic device that is responsible for moving or controlling a mechanism or system, typically by converting energy into motion.

2. What types of actuators are available?

There are various types of actuators, including electric actuators, hydraulic actuators, pneumatic actuators, and mechanical actuators. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages, and the best one for a particular job will depend on the specific needs and requirements.

3. How do I determine which type of actuator is best for my job?

To determine which type of actuator is best for your job, you need to consider factors such as the load and force requirements, speed and precision needed, environmental conditions, and budget. Consulting with an expert or doing thorough research can also help in making an informed decision.

4. Can one type of actuator be used for multiple jobs?

Yes, it is possible for one type of actuator to be used for multiple jobs. However, it is important to carefully consider the specific requirements of each job and determine if the actuator is suitable for all of them or if different types may be needed.

5. What are the main advantages of using an electric actuator?

Electric actuators have several advantages, including high precision and control, low maintenance, and ease of installation. They are also more energy-efficient and environmentally-friendly compared to other types of actuators.