Dynamics: max horizontal swing of a pendulum

In summary, the problem involves a suspended bucket on a traveling crane that is brought to a sudden stop. Using the law of conservation of energy, the maximum horizontal distance through which the bucket will swing can be calculated by setting the initial kinetic energy equal to the potential energy at the highest point. The resulting equation can be solved for the vertical height, which can then be used to find the horizontal distance using trigonometry. No masses are given in the problem.
jaredogden

Homework Statement

In an ore-mixing operation, a bucket full of ore is suspended from a traveling crane which moves along a stationary bridge. The crane is traveling at a speed of 3 m/s when it is brought to a sudden stop. Determine the maximum horizontal distance through which the bucket will swing. (arm length 10m)

Homework Equations

KE = 1/2mv2
PE = mgz
Etot = KE + PE + U

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the bucket is traveling with a speed of 3 m/s and has no height E1 = 1/2mv2 and at the highest point the bucket will travel v = 0 m/s E2 = mgz

Therefore since E1 = E2 (law of conservation of energy)
1/2mv2 = mgz
1/2v2 = gz
1/2(3 m/s)2 = (9.81 m/s2)z
z = 0.4587 m

I'm not even sure if I did this the way my professor taught us, I'm just using thermo energy balance equations to be honest. I don't know if there is a way to make a triangle and solve for the x component, or just a complete different way to do this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Another way you can try to conserve momentum

I used a triangle to find out that the 10 m arm length minus the 0.4587 m height increase equals a triangle with the vertical leg being 9.54 m and the hypotenuse of 10 m. I then did sin-1(9.54 m/10 m) = 72.55°

Then I did 10cos(72.55°) = 2.9987 m

I know this is the right answer but I don't know if there is another way to find this answer.

Are masses given ?

No, no masses are given

1. What is the formula for calculating the maximum horizontal swing of a pendulum?

The formula for calculating the maximum horizontal swing of a pendulum is L * sin(theta), where L is the length of the pendulum and theta is the maximum angle of deflection from the vertical position.

2. How does the length of the pendulum affect the maximum horizontal swing?

The length of the pendulum directly affects the maximum horizontal swing. The longer the pendulum, the greater the maximum horizontal swing will be. This is because a longer pendulum will have a larger radius, allowing for a greater distance to be covered during the swing.

3. What factors can affect the maximum horizontal swing of a pendulum?

The factors that can affect the maximum horizontal swing of a pendulum include the length of the pendulum, the angle of deflection, and the force of gravity. Other factors such as air resistance and the weight of the pendulum can also have an impact.

4. Can the maximum horizontal swing of a pendulum ever be greater than the length of the pendulum?

No, the maximum horizontal swing of a pendulum cannot be greater than the length of the pendulum. This is due to the fact that the angle of deflection cannot exceed 90 degrees, which would result in the pendulum swinging back in the opposite direction.

5. How can the maximum horizontal swing of a pendulum be increased?

The maximum horizontal swing of a pendulum can be increased by increasing the length of the pendulum, increasing the angle of deflection, and reducing any factors that may hinder the swing, such as air resistance. Additionally, using a heavier weight for the pendulum can also increase the maximum horizontal swing.