Fourier Equations Homework Solutions

• Thread starter Invyz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fourier
In summary, the conversation discusses two problems related to the Fourier transform and provides a solution for each. For the first problem, the individual tries to use various identities but encounters issues with undefined values. The solution is to treat the case where m=n separately and calculate the integral manually. For the second problem, the individual suggests using the Fourier transform and integrating both sides using the solution from the first problem.
Invyz

Homework Statement

Attached.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For #1: I've attempted to use the identity sin(x)sin(y) = 1/2(cos(x-y)-cos(x+y)) and the similar related identities for sin(x)cos(y) and cos(x)cos(y), but I end with answers that are undefined when m = n due to the term (m-n).

For #2: I don't see any derivation in the lecture notes(attached), so I don't know where to start :/ Other than that you probably begin with the summation as n goes to infinity of the Fourier constant times the cosine(2*pi*n*t/T)

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    30.6 KB · Views: 431
  • L18_Spectral_Analysis.pdf
    367.6 KB · Views: 204
Physics news on Phys.org
Invyz said:
For #1: I've attempted to use the identity sin(x)sin(y) = 1/2(cos(x-y)-cos(x+y)) and the similar related identities for sin(x)cos(y) and cos(x)cos(y), but I end with answers that are undefined when m = n due to the term (m-n).

Do the case m=n separately. You can probably calculate the integral by hand in that case.

Invyz said:
For #2: I don't see any derivation in the lecture notes(attached), so I don't know where to start :/ Other than that you probably begin with the summation as n goes to infinity of the Fourier constant times the cosine(2*pi*n*t/T)

Write function f using the Fourier transform, multiply both sides of the equation by cos(2πmx/L). Then integrate both sides using the results you got from #1.

1. What are Fourier equations and why are they important in science?

Fourier equations are mathematical equations used to describe the behavior of waves and signals. They are important in science because they can be used to analyze and understand a wide range of phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

2. What is the difference between Fourier series and Fourier transforms?

Fourier series are used to represent periodic functions, while Fourier transforms are used to analyze non-periodic functions. Fourier transforms also provide a more detailed analysis of a function by representing it in terms of frequency components.

3. How are Fourier equations used in image and signal processing?

In image and signal processing, Fourier equations are used to decompose an image or signal into its frequency components. This allows for the removal of unwanted noise and the enhancement of important features in the image or signal.

4. What are some real-life applications of Fourier equations?

Fourier equations have a wide range of applications in science and technology. They are used in fields such as telecommunications, medical imaging, audio and video compression, and weather forecasting.

5. Are there any limitations to using Fourier equations?

While Fourier equations are extremely useful in many applications, they do have some limitations. They assume that the function being analyzed is continuous and can be represented by a mathematical equation. They also may not accurately represent functions with sharp discontinuities or infinite peaks.