Can some clarify what exactly n is ?

• Thread starter GreenAce92
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a lab on Spectroscopy of Hydrogen and Sodium. The group is using an apparatus to view the 4 wavelengths of Hydrogen twice and the doublets of Sodium also twice. They are discussing the meaning of n in relation to the different colors of light and the equation nλ=dsinθ. They also mention the order of diffraction and how it affects the images seen. They refer to a resource for further clarification.
GreenAce92
This is probably really sad that I am posting about this.

I am doing my Modern Lab on Spectroscopy of Hydrogen and Sodium.

I am confused on what exactly n is.

We used this apparatus which spun on a 360degree vernier scale, we were able to view the 4 wavelengths of Hydrogen twice and the doublets of Sodium also twice.

I do not completely understand what n is.

From my understanding which may be incorrect the different colors of light viewed are a result of different excitation states? going from one energy level to the next?

So on a diagram you see an increasing E and increasing n you see the eV increase.
But on a diffraction setting, n is the location of occurrences of maxima/minima right?

So... I'm not sure what exactly it means with the equation nλ=dsinθ

I mean, one order you can see the four visible light (red, blue, violet, violet) and then the next order you can see them again?

Yeah please enlighten me.

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like n is the image number, counting out from zero diffraction. You'll get progressively weaker images for n=1, 2, 3...

isnt n the number of wavelengths? and so basically the (# of wavelengths)*(wavelength) = d*sin(theta) distance of the grating

jedishrfu said:
isnt n the number of wavelengths? and so basically the (# of wavelengths)*(wavelength) = d*sin(theta) distance of the grating

I think we're saying the same thing. The nth image arises because it involves reinforcement of crests n wavelengths apart.

Hi. n is order of diffraction.
First order n=1 corresponds to smallest diffraction angle. Very clear
Second order n=2 corresponds to the second diffraction angle. Still clear
Third ... Not so clear.
Fourth ... Difficult to identify or so.

Expression is just to give you rough way it goes. When many wave trains are concerned to explain difference of distance light go, the effect is less dramatic than only one train is involved.

See http://map.ua.edu/resources/edlisfraedi/atomic_spectra.pdf

Regards.

Wait so what do you mean by "weaker" as in the maxima?

Also what is the difference between the energy drops/colors/order?

So from 1 n value to the next I should still expect to see the individual spectra right? (red/yellow)

1. What is n in scientific research?

N in scientific research represents the sample size of the study or the number of participants involved in the research.

2. How is n calculated in a research study?

N is typically calculated using statistical methods to determine the appropriate sample size needed for the study to produce reliable and valid results.

3. Why is n important in scientific research?

N is important because it helps determine the representativeness and generalizability of the study's findings to the larger population. A larger sample size (higher n) generally increases the reliability of the results.

4. Can n vary in different types of scientific research?

Yes, the value of n can vary depending on the type of research being conducted. For example, a clinical trial may have a larger n compared to a case study.

5. How does the value of n affect the results of a study?

The value of n can impact the precision and accuracy of the results. Generally, a larger n leads to more reliable and generalizable findings, while a smaller n may result in less precise results that may not be applicable to the larger population.