Percent area of the universe is galaxy?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of determining the percentage of the universe's area that is made up of galaxies. It suggests using the critical density of the universe and provides an estimated number of galaxies in the observable universe. It also mentions the vastness of space and a quote from Douglas Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
sketchd2
%area of the universe is galaxy?

Hi.
I'm trying to determine the approximate percentage of the universe's area that is made up of galaxies for a question I was asked earlier this week. I have been looking everywhere and can not find any information of use. Can someone please help?

Astronomy news on Phys.org

Try critical density of the universe.

Thank you. That is just what I needed

Estimated number of galaxies in observable universe is N = 175 X 109, assuming average volume of each 22/7*100000*100000*30000 i.e. v = 9.25 X 1014 cubic light years. Total volume occupied by galaxies = N X V = 1618.75 X 1023 cubic light years.

Compare this with volume of observable universe = 4.1 × 1032 cubic light years.

The Hubble Ultra Deep Field shows 10000 galaxies, but still the photo is mostly black (space).

Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mindbogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space - Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hello there. I can provide some insights on this question. First of all, it is important to understand that the universe is a vast and ever-expanding space, and it is impossible to accurately determine its exact size or area. Therefore, it is also challenging to determine the percentage of the universe's area that is made up of galaxies.

However, based on current scientific understanding and observations, it is estimated that galaxies make up about 10% of the observable universe. This means that about 90% of the universe is made up of other components such as dark matter and dark energy, which are still not fully understood.

It is also important to note that the distribution of galaxies in the universe is not uniform. They tend to cluster together in groups, clusters, and superclusters. Therefore, the percentage of galaxies in a particular region of the universe may be higher or lower than the estimated 10%.

In summary, while it is difficult to determine the exact percentage of the universe's area that is made up of galaxies, it is estimated to be around 10%. However, further research and observations are needed to gain a better understanding of the universe's composition. I hope this helps.

1. What is the current estimated percentage of the universe that is occupied by galaxies?

The current estimated percentage of the universe that is occupied by galaxies is approximately 100%. This means that all observable regions of the universe contain some form of galaxy.

2. How is the percentage of the universe that is galaxy calculated?

The percentage of the universe that is galaxy is calculated by observing the distribution of galaxies in the observable universe and using statistical methods to estimate the total number of galaxies in the entire universe. This number is then divided by the total volume of the universe to determine the percentage.

3. Is the percentage of the universe that is galaxy the same everywhere?

No, the percentage of the universe that is galaxy is not the same everywhere. Galaxies tend to cluster together in certain regions, leading to higher percentages in those areas compared to others. Additionally, the percentage may vary over time as new galaxies form and others merge or disappear.

4. Are there any areas of the universe where there are no galaxies?

While it is not currently possible to observe the entire universe, it is believed that there are no regions completely devoid of galaxies. However, there are some areas with a lower density of galaxies, such as the voids between galaxy clusters.

5. How does the percentage of the universe that is galaxy change over time?

The percentage of the universe that is galaxy is believed to increase over time as more galaxies are formed through the process of cosmic evolution. As the universe continues to expand, more matter is able to clump together and form galaxies, leading to a higher percentage of the universe being occupied by galaxies.