Relative Permitttivity & Relative Permeability Dependency

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between relative permittivity (εr) and relative permeability (μr) in a material, as well as their connection to the phase velocity (v) of electromagnetic radiation. The conversation also mentions the properties of materials, including relative permittivity, relative permeability, and refractive index.
ubabmar
Hi Everyone,

I want to know that is there anyway to relate the relative permittivity (εr) & relative permeability (μr) ?... I am having relative permittivity of an material & i want to find out its relative permeability ...

Like if εr = 2.2, then μr = ?...

Please reply ...

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi ubabmar! welcome to pf! :smile:

if v (= c/n) is the phase velocity of electromagnetic radiation in the material, then …

ε = εrεo

µ = µrµo

εµ = 1/v2

so εrµr = 1/εoµov2 = (c/v)2 :wink:

tiny-tim said:
hi ubabmar! welcome to pf! :smile:

if v (= c/n) is the phase velocity of electromagnetic radiation in the material, then …

ε = εrεo

µ = µrµo

εµ = 1/v2

so εrµr = 1/εoµov2 = (c/v)2 :wink:

Hi Tiny-tim ...
Thank You for your reply ...
Yeah, your answer is giving me the relation but if i don't know the 'v' (Phase Velocity of EM radiation) then do this problem has any method ?...
Please ...

v is the speed of light in the material …

(equal to c/n, where n is the refractive index)

you do need to know it :wink:

tiny-tim said:
v is the speed of light in the material …

(equal to c/n, where n is the refractive index)

you do need to know it :wink:

Thankyou tiny-tim ...
I got the answer ...
But a general question that really all the materials posses all these properties ...
The Parameters are,
1. Relative Permittivity,
2. Relative Permeability,
3. Refractive index.

1. What is relative permittivity?

Relative permittivity, also known as dielectric constant, is a measure of the ability of a material to store electrical energy in an electric field. It is the ratio of the electric flux density in a vacuum to the electric flux density in the material.

2. How is relative permittivity related to electric susceptibility?

Electric susceptibility is a measure of the degree to which a material can be polarized by an applied electric field. Relative permittivity is directly related to electric susceptibility, with the latter being the inverse of the former.

3. What factors affect the relative permittivity of a material?

The relative permittivity of a material is influenced by factors such as temperature, frequency of the applied electric field, and the composition and structure of the material. In general, materials with higher polarizability or higher density of polarizable atoms have higher relative permittivity.

4. How is relative permeability different from relative permittivity?

Relative permeability is a measure of the ability of a material to support the formation of magnetic fields. It is the ratio of the magnetic flux density in a vacuum to the magnetic flux density in the material. While relative permittivity is related to electric fields, relative permeability is related to magnetic fields.

5. Is there a relationship between relative permittivity and relative permeability?

Yes, there is a relationship between relative permittivity and relative permeability, known as the permittivity-permeability ratio. This ratio is important in the study of electromagnetic waves and is used in the calculation of the speed of light in a material. It is also an important factor in the design of electronic devices and materials used in telecommunications.