Votes vs Likes: The Role of Engagement in Online Forums

• Thread starter Curious314
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is new to the forum and is wondering if there is a way to vote or like answers on the forum. They express feeling rude for only being able to thank the person who answered their question. Other forum users have suggested looking at previous threads for more information.
Curious314
votes or likes to answers??

Hi!

I am not sure if it is here where I can make this question, but here I go. I am practically new to this forum, in some forums that I have been part of there is a "like" button or a "vote" button, or points for the people who answer your questions, I haven't seen any of them in here, am I missing them or just there isn't. I feel sometimes rude because I can't do anything else but thank the person who answered my question.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org

We get this suggestion a lot, the thread micro has linked to contains links to former threads and just looking at this current page in the Feedback Forum I count two more other than this one
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=609840
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=613988

Hopefully these can answer your questions. Also in my experience just thanking someone for their help is enough, if you want to go further you could send a visitor or private message.

1. What is the purpose of votes or likes to answers?

The purpose of votes or likes to answers is to allow users to indicate which answers they find most helpful or relevant. This helps to highlight the most valuable contributions and can provide valuable feedback to the person who posted the answer.

2. How do votes or likes to answers affect the ranking of answers?

Votes or likes can play a role in determining the ranking of answers, as they can indicate the popularity or perceived usefulness of an answer. However, there are other factors that can also impact the ranking, such as the quality and relevance of the content.

3. Can I vote or like my own answer?

No, typically users are not allowed to vote or like their own answer. This is to prevent bias and maintain fairness in the ranking system.

4. Are there any limitations to the number of votes or likes a user can give?

Yes, most platforms have limits or restrictions on the number of votes or likes a user can give within a certain time period. This is to prevent spamming or gaming the system.

5. Do votes or likes to answers have any impact on the reputation of the user?

Yes, in some cases, votes or likes to answers can contribute to the reputation or credibility of a user on the platform. This can be helpful for users looking to establish themselves as experts in a certain topic.