Gravity Force Term: Exploring (1/2) in Fluid Mechanics

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding a formula in a fluid mechanics textbook. The formula in question is (1/2) * ρ * g * dx * dz, specifically the presence of the (1/2) term. The original poster tried to solve the problem themselves and received an email explaining that the (1/2) term is due to the volume of a triangular element. They then ask for clarification on the use of differential length in the solution.
swmmr1928
This is not a problem statement this is not homework this is not a textbook exercise. This is my own question about a formula in a textbook. I was given an infraction because I did not post this here.

Homework Statement

zxWrF.png

Source: Fluid Mechanics 2nd ed. - P. Kundu, I. Cohen.pdf

I am trying to understand the force balance, specifically the force due to gravity. Why is the (1/2) present?

Homework Equations

(1/2) * ρ * g * dx * dz

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried my own force balance and I agree with the book except for the gravity term:

ƩF in vertical = 0 = +p2dx - Fgravity - p1ds*cos(θ)
Fgravity = m*a = m*g = ρ*V*g
m=V*ρ
ƩF in vertical = 0 = +p2dx - ρ*V*g - p1ds*cos(θ)

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh I have received an email regarding the thread I started in the general physics section. Another user replied:

"m=ρ*A*d <=> (since d=1, for its of unit thickness)
m=ρ*(dxdz/2) = 1/2 ρ dx dz (since A is that of a triangle) and hence
F= -1/2 ρ dx dz g"

So is this correct: ?
V = s*A
A=1/2*x*y
V=1/2*x*y*s
s=1
V=1/2*x*y

How are you able to suddenly invoke differential length?

swmmr1928 said:
I am trying to understand the force balance, specifically the force due to gravity. Why is the (1/2) present?
It's a triangle, so its volume is 1/2 that of a rectangular element. Area = 1/2dxdz.

swmmr1928 said:
What's sudden about it? The infinitesimal fluid element in your diagram has a triangular cross section with sides dx & dz.

What is gravity force term in fluid mechanics?

The gravity force term in fluid mechanics refers to the influence of gravity on the movement of fluids. It is an important factor to consider when studying the behavior of fluids in various systems, such as in pipes, pumps, and rivers.

How does gravity affect fluid flow?

Gravity affects fluid flow by creating a downward force on the fluid, causing it to move from a higher elevation to a lower elevation. This force is known as the weight of the fluid and it plays a crucial role in determining the direction and speed of fluid flow.

How is the gravity force term calculated?

The gravity force term is calculated by multiplying the mass of the fluid by the acceleration due to gravity. This can be represented by the formula Fg = mg, where Fg is the gravity force, m is the mass of the fluid, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s² on Earth).

What are some real-life examples of the gravity force term in action?

Some real-life examples of the gravity force term in action include the flow of water in rivers, the movement of oil in pipelines, and the behavior of air in atmospheric conditions. It also plays a role in the movement of blood in the human body and the flow of lava in volcanoes.

How does the gravity force term impact engineering and design?

The gravity force term is an important factor to consider in engineering and design, especially when designing systems that involve fluid flow. It can impact the size and placement of pipes, pumps, and other components to ensure efficient fluid movement and prevent potential issues caused by excessive or inadequate gravity force.