Calculating Energy and Momentum in Different Frames

In summary: Is this not the norm that I should be using?Thanks for clarifying. You're right, I simply forgot to add the squares. Thanks for pointing out the Lorentz transformation formula, I had just been using the x component of the formula: v_x' = \frac{v_x-u}{\sqrt{1-(v_xu)/c^2}}. I guess I forgot that I had to do this for all three components of u.In summary, the solution to part a) is fairly simple, calculating the Lorentz factor \gamma = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-(u/c)^2}} where (u/c)^2 = 3/4. Then, using
PirateFan308

Homework Statement

A particle of rest mass [itex]m_0[/itex] is moving the S-frame at a velocity of [itex]u=(c/2, c/2, c/2) [/itex]. Calculate:

a) its energy E and its momentum p in the S-frame

b) E' and p' in the S'-frame moving at [itex]v=(c/2, 0,0)[/itex] relative to S

Homework Equations

[itex]v_x = \frac{v_x-u}{\sqrt{1-(v_xu)/c^2}}[/itex]

[itex]E= \gamma m_0 c^2[/itex]

[itex]p = \gamma m_0 u[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I was given the solutions, I just have difficulties understanding. The solution to part a) is fairly simple, simply calculating [itex]\gamma = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-(u/c)^2}}[/itex] where [itex](u/c)^2 = 3/4[/itex]. Then [itex]E= \gamma m_0 c^2 = 2m_0c^2[/itex] and [itex]p = \gamma m_0 u = 2m_0(c/2, c/2, c/2) = (m_0c, m_0c, m_0c)[/itex]It's part b) that's giving me problems. The solution given is as follows:

LT for E and p. [itex]\gamma(v) = \frac{1}{(1-1/4)^{1/2}} = 2/ \sqrt{3}[/itex]. [itex]E' = \gamma (v) (E-vp_x) = (2/ \sqrt{3})(2-1/2)m_0c^2 = \sqrt{3}m_0c^2[/itex]

[itex]p_x' = \gamma(v)(p_x - vE/c^2) = 2/ \sqrt{3} (m_0c - c/2*2m_0) = 0[/itex]. So then since [itex]p_y'=p_y=m_0c[/itex] and [itex]p_z'=p_z=m_0c[/itex], we get [itex]p' = (0, m_0c, m_0c)[/itex].The following is how I thought the question should be solved.

Note that [itex]v_x' = 0, v_y' = c/2, v_z' = c/2[/itex] so that [itex]u = (0, c/2, c/2)[/itex]. Then we would find [itex]\gamma = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-(u^2/c^2)}}[/itex] where [itex]u^2 = (c/2)^2+(c/2)^2 = 1/2c^2[/itex] so that [itex]\gamma = \sqrt{2}[/itex].

Then using we find that [itex]E= \gamma m_0 c^2 = \sqrt{2} m_0 c^2[/itex].

We also get [itex]p = \gamma m_0 u = \sqrt{2} m_0 (0, c/2, c/2) = (0, m_0c/\sqrt{2}, m_0c/ \sqrt{2})[/itex].I understand the logic of the given solution for momentum, but I don't understand where I made the mistake in my solution. Also, does anyone know how the two equations for relative energy and momentum were derived? I hadn't seen these two equations before I looked at the solutions.

I'm completely at a loss for the given solution for energy ... I'm confused why exactly we used [itex]\gamma (v)[/itex], when shouldn't we generally use the relative velocity of the particle with respect to that particular frame (so take [itex]v=(0,c/2,c/2)[/itex] with respect to the S'-frame)??

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can't just add velocities to transform between reference frames. Velocities don't add that way in special relativity. So it's NOT true that u' = u - v.

In more detail: it looks like you tried to used the Galilean rule for the addition of velocities (which is wrong and only holds approximately true at low speeds), when you should use the special relativistic rule. Check it out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velocity-addition_formula

EDIT: It appears that you are familiar with the correct special relativistic formula for the addition of velocities, since you posted it in your Relevant Equations! So I find it puzzling that you would make this mistake.

Hmm, I'm not quite sure where you believe I added velocities. I used Lorentz transformations to find that [itex]v_x'=0, v_y=c/2, v_z=c/2[/itex]. Where [itex]v_x' = \frac{v_x-u}{1-\frac{uv_x}{c^2}} = \frac{c/2-c/2}{1-\frac{(c/2)(c/2)}{c^2}} = 0[/itex] and [itex]v_y' = v_z = \frac{v_y-u}{1-\frac{uv_x}{c^2}} = \frac{c/2-0}{1-\frac{(0)(c/2)}{c^2}} = c/2[/itex]. It just occurred to me now that instead of using [itex]u=(u_x,u_y,u_z)[/itex], should I instead use [itex]u=||u||[/itex]?

For the [itex]u^2=(c/2)^2+(c/2)^2[/itex], I was attempting to find the norm of u = [itex]\sqrt{u_x^2+u_y^2+u_z^2}[/itex] where each u_x, u_y, and u_z were all in the same frame (S'-frame).

Last edited:

What is relative energy?

Relative energy refers to the amount of energy that an object possesses in relation to another object or frame of reference. It takes into account the motion and velocity of the objects involved.

How is relative energy related to momentum?

Relative energy and momentum are closely related concepts in physics. Momentum is defined as the product of an object's mass and its velocity, whereas relative energy takes into account the mass, velocity, and direction of motion of the objects involved. Both concepts are used to describe the motion and interactions of objects in a system.

Can relative energy be negative?

Yes, relative energy can be negative. This occurs when the objects involved have opposite directions of motion, resulting in a decrease in total energy. This negative energy is often referred to as "binding energy" and can be observed in systems such as atoms and molecules.

How is relative energy conserved in a closed system?

In a closed system, the total amount of relative energy remains constant. This means that the sum of the relative energies of all objects in the system before and after an interaction will be the same. This principle is known as the law of conservation of energy.

What is the significance of relative energy and momentum in physics?

Relative energy and momentum are fundamental concepts in physics that help us understand the behavior and interactions of objects in motion. They are essential in fields such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics, and are used to solve complex problems and make predictions about the physical world.