Exploring the Feasibility of CNTs as Exoskeleton Material: A Scientific Inquiry

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential use of carbon nanotubes (CNTs) in creating exoskeletons. The first question is if CNTs can expand with electricity or if wax is needed. The second question is if there are enough nanotubes to create a full-body suit. The third question is if graphene is suitable for use as armor. The conversation also touches on the strength of a single nanotube compared to a bundle, the use of wax in strengthening muscles, and the possibility of using CNTs for artificial muscles in exoskeletons. The conversation concludes with a question about the potential effects of electrical current on the contraction and expansion of CNTs. The expert's response is that applying currents to
Dummienoob
Can we make exoskeletons out of CNTs? I have a few questions
1. Do CNTs expand when electricity is applied or you have to put wax betwen them?

2. Can we produce enough nanotubes to make a full-body suit?

3. Is graphene suitable for an armor? Some say that when you put a elephant on a pencil and put it on a sheet of graphene, it won't break.

4500 kg - elephant's weight 0.001256 square meters - area of a pencil tip?
force pulling elphant down: 4500*9.8=44 100 N

44 100:0.001256≈35 111 465 Pa

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
1. I'm not sure how to answer that.

2. Depends on what you consider a body-suit. If you mean covering every area of the human body by a single layer of nanotubes, yes. But you would want much more than a single layer of CNTs for armor.

3. You're misunderstanding the quote there. It's said when you balance an elephant on a pencil and put it on graphene with the thickness of Saran Wrap, the sheet would break.

Assuming saran wrap is 10 microns thick and graphene is ~0.33 nanometers thick, you'd need ~30,000 sheets of graphene. Now there's a problem there. Graphene only has its special properties as a single layer, once you start to stack graphene, it becomes less and less special and eventually becomes graphite. So that quote would awfully hard to test, in my opinion.

tl;dr, I don't think graphene is suitable as an armor just yet, nor do I foresee it being so in the future, but I'm not an expert in armor.

I have a site that tells nothing about putting wax between the tubes: http://phys.org/news156781465.html Some say that the wax will make the muscle stronger.
But why is a single nanotube stronger than a bundle of CNTs?

For the purpose of armor, CNT based composite, I think, would be the best solution, but extremely expensive.
But not sure it's good idea to use them for artificial muscles in exosceleton. As it said by the link you provided, 'muscle' is made of aerogel based (very rarefied) oriented nanotubes, and stretching effect observed in orthogonal direction.

Do carbon nanotubes contract at different strengths depending on how much electrical current you use? This is a question that I really need answered. Thank you.

Elijthaley said:
Do carbon nanotubes contract at different strengths depending on how much electrical current you use? This is a question that I really need answered. Thank you.

I would be surprised if applying currents to carbon nanotubes caused them to change physical shape or size.

I found out the answer to my question by asking Dr. Fadel who has a Ph.D. in nanotechnology. He said that carbon nanotubes contract/expand depending on the coefficient of thermal expansion (and you can increase this coefficient by adding more electrical current). Thank you though.

1. What is a carbon nanotube exoskeleton?

A carbon nanotube exoskeleton is a type of wearable technology that is made up of carbon nanotubes, which are cylindrical structures made of carbon atoms. These nanotubes are incredibly strong and flexible, making them ideal for creating a lightweight exoskeleton.

2. How does a carbon nanotube exoskeleton work?

A carbon nanotube exoskeleton works by providing support and protection to the wearer's body. The nanotubes are arranged in a specific pattern to create a structure that can withstand strong forces while still allowing for flexibility and movement.

3. What are the potential benefits of using a carbon nanotube exoskeleton?

The potential benefits of a carbon nanotube exoskeleton include increased strength and endurance, improved mobility, and reduced risk of injury. It can also aid in rehabilitation for those with physical disabilities.

4. Are there any limitations to using a carbon nanotube exoskeleton?

One limitation of a carbon nanotube exoskeleton is that it can be difficult and expensive to manufacture. It also requires a power source to function, which can be a limitation for extended use. Additionally, the technology is still in its early stages and may not be widely available yet.

5. How is the safety of a carbon nanotube exoskeleton ensured?

The safety of a carbon nanotube exoskeleton is ensured through rigorous testing and quality control measures. The materials used in its construction are also biocompatible, meaning they are not harmful to the human body. Additionally, regulations and standards are in place to ensure the safety of wearable technology products like exoskeletons.

Back