Find the sensitivity and accuracy of electronic weighing scales?

In summary, to find the sensitivity and accuracy of electronic weighing scales, you can perform an experiment with an object of known weight and take multiple measurements to get the mean and standard deviation. The sensitivity can be determined from the spread of the measurements, while accuracy can be found by comparing the mean measurement to the actual value. However, results may vary depending on experimental conditions and weight magnitudes. For more statistical rigor, a bootstrap technique can be used to account for potential non-gaussian error distributions.
g33n13
How would I find the sensitivity and accuracy of electronic weighing scales?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do a web search on the manufacturer and model number?

g33n13 said:
How would I find the sensitivity and accuracy of electronic weighing scales?

Take an object of known weight/mass and then weigh it with the scale N times. You can then get a mean and standard deviation of the weight measurements, Wi:

[tex]\bar W=\frac{\sum_{i=1}^{N}W_i}{N}[/tex]

[tex]\sigma=\sqrt{\sum_{i=1}^{N}\frac{(W_i-\bar W)^2}{N-1}}[/tex]

If I'm understanding what you mean by sensitivity and accuracy, then the sensitivity is the spread in the measurements, [tex]\sigma[/tex]. To get the accuracy, you would have to perform the same experiment many times (let's say M times) with different weights and find the average value of the difference between the mean measurement and the actual value:

[tex]accuracy = \frac{\sum_{j=1}^{M}(\frac{\bar W_j-W_0}{W_0})}{M}[/tex]

If this is supposed to be a simple experiment, you can ignore what I'm about to say.

These things will likely depend on many variables, so the results you get will depend upon the conditions in which you perform the experiment and the magnitudes of the weights you use. Really, what should be computed is the sensitivity and accuracy as a function of actual weight. Also, there's no reason to assume a priori that the distribution of errors will be gaussian, so the above should done via a bootstrap technique if more statistical rigor is required.

What is the sensitivity of an electronic weighing scale?

The sensitivity of an electronic weighing scale refers to the smallest weight that the scale can accurately measure. It is usually measured in increments of grams or milligrams.

How is the sensitivity of an electronic weighing scale determined?

The sensitivity of an electronic weighing scale is determined by its internal components, such as the load cell and the digital display. It is also affected by external factors like air currents and vibrations.

What is the accuracy of an electronic weighing scale?

The accuracy of an electronic weighing scale refers to how close the measured weight is to the actual weight of the object. It is usually expressed as a percentage or a number of decimal places.

How is the accuracy of an electronic weighing scale tested?

The accuracy of an electronic weighing scale is tested by using calibrated weights of known mass and comparing the displayed weight to the actual weight. This process is repeated multiple times to ensure consistency.

What factors can affect the sensitivity and accuracy of an electronic weighing scale?

External factors such as temperature, air currents, and vibrations can affect the sensitivity and accuracy of an electronic weighing scale. Additionally, the quality and condition of the scale's internal components can also impact its performance.