Understanding Maxwell's Equations and the Role of Charge and Current Conditions

In summary, the further condition necessary for the Maxwell Equations is the continuity equation, which relates to the existence of the displacement current. The displacement current was added to the equations by Maxwell to account for the inconsistency in the curl H equation. This term is now understood to be due to the displacement of bound charge in the vacuum. The concept can be explained through the example of a capacitor connected to an EMF, and understanding the boundary conditions associated with EM-phenomena can help in solving such problems. It is important to try and think and solve problems for oneself rather than solely relying on asking questions.
rho11yw00d
hey i need help explaining this... I am really lost...

What is the further condition on the charges and the currents, which is necessary for the Maxwell Equations? Explain how it relates to the existence of the displacement current.

Physics news on Phys.org
rho11yw00d said:

What is the further condition on the charges and the currents, which is necessary for the Maxwell Equations? Explain how it relates to the existence of the displacement current.

You are really not giving us a lot to go by. It would help if you put in some CONTEXT of your question.

With just that, I'd say it's the continuity equation.

Zz.

rho11yw00d said:

Well do you know what a displacement current is ?
For example, explain this for a capacitor that is connected to an EMF, so that there is a current flowing. Do you know the boundary conditions associated with EM-phenomena ?

In stead of asking questions that YOU should answer, do try to think and solve it for yourself...it is much more rewarding :wink:

marlon

yeah this teacher isn't giving me much to work ith here... but I am going to look into what marlon said... thanks! i know i should but i think I am looking too much into the question maybe

The curl H Maxwell equation is inconsistent if there is only a j term on the RHS.
This is because divcurl=0, but div j=-d rho/dt. Max realized that an additional term depending on dD/dt had to be added to the RHS. He called this term
"the dispacement current" because Max thought it was due to a displacement of bound charge in the aether. Now we know it is just there in the vacuum.

marlon said:
Well do you know what a displacement current is ?
For example, explain this for a capacitor that is connected to an EMF, so that there is a current flowing. Do you know the boundary conditions associated with EM-phenomena ?

In stead of asking questions that YOU should answer, do try to think and solve it for yourself...it is much more rewarding :wink:

marlon

:devil: strange, Marlon wrote once upon a time page after page of useful explanations. :confused:

1. What are Maxwell's Equations?

Maxwell's Equations are a set of four fundamental equations in electromagnetism that describe the relationship between electric and magnetic fields, electric charges, and currents. They were developed by James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century and are considered to be one of the most important contributions to the field of physics.

2. What is the significance of Maxwell's Equations?

Maxwell's Equations are significant because they unify the previously separate theories of electricity and magnetism, providing a complete and elegant explanation of how these two phenomena are related. They also paved the way for the development of modern technologies such as radio, television, and telecommunications.

3. How do Maxwell's Equations relate to light?

Maxwell's Equations predict the existence of electromagnetic waves, which are the underlying mechanism that explains the behavior of light. This discovery was a major breakthrough in understanding the nature of light and its properties.

4. Are Maxwell's Equations still relevant today?

Yes, Maxwell's Equations are still relevant and widely used in modern physics and engineering. They are the basis for understanding and developing technologies such as wireless communication, radar, and satellite navigation.

5. Can Maxwell's Equations be modified or improved upon?

Yes, although Maxwell's Equations are considered to be one of the most accurate and successful theories in physics, they are not completely comprehensive. Scientists continue to research and modify the equations in order to better explain certain phenomena, such as the behavior of materials at the nanoscale or in extreme conditions.