How to generate functional in FEM

In summary, the thumb rule for any variational method is to multiply by the test function to get the strong form, and integrate by parts.
mdn
Please suggest me, how to generate weak form or functional of any partial diffrential equation ( mostely second order) in Finite Element Method.
Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are several methods, for example
1. Use something related to the physics of the model, for example a stationary value of energy.
2. Use calculus of variations.
3. Use an empirical method like the Galerkin method.

If several different methods give you the same formulation, that is usually good news. Otherwise, you may have to investigate which method is "best" in different situations.

thanks AlephZero to reply me, but actually i developed finite element solver (1D and 2D)in Java.
It can handle governing equation like: Poisson's , Laplace and Helmholtz equation.
I know how to generate weak form of above equations(from book reference), but don't have confident for other equations, that's why i would like to know, is there any general rule to make weak form, from strong form?
Again i confused about variational formulation, List square and Galerkin method.

mdn said:
is there any general rule to make weak form, from strong form?
Again i confused about variational formulation, List square and Galerkin method.

I think that question is too general to give an answer that is short enough for an internet forum. The answer could be a chapter of a textbook, or even a whole book.

Also we don't know what your math background is. A "cookbook" method for making a simple FE approximation to a specific equation would look very different from a general discussion in terms of functional analysis.

I think you need to ask more specific questions, to get useful answers.

Likes 1 person
Totally agree with AlephZero. I remember learning the finite element method and it taking months to do, and apparently we'd only scratched the surface. The biggest takeaway from learning FEM for me is that it's a method, not a recipe. It won't tell you exactly how to generate weak forms from strong forms or what approximations to make, but it can tell you what to do next when you have a weak form, for example.

timthereaper said:
Totally agree with AlephZero. I remember learning the finite element method and it taking months to do, and apparently we'd only scratched the surface. The biggest takeaway from learning FEM for me is that it's a method, not a recipe. It won't tell you exactly how to generate weak forms from strong forms or what approximations to make, but it can tell you what to do next when you have a weak form, for example.

but it is very simple now, just multiply by test function to strong form and integrate by parts in one dimension, this method will automatically make week form in one dimension.
and for two dimensional case, we can't integrate by parts in surface integration that's why we have to use stokes and divergence theorem. that's it.
this the thumb rule for any variational method.
any suggestion appreciated.

What is FEM and how does it work?

FEM stands for Finite Element Method, which is a numerical technique used to approximate solutions to differential equations in engineering and science. It works by dividing a complex problem into smaller, simpler elements and then solving for the behavior of each element. The solutions from each element are then combined to obtain an overall solution for the entire problem.

What is a functional and why is it important in FEM?

A functional is a mathematical expression that maps a set of input functions to a single output value. In FEM, functionals are used to represent the behavior of a system, such as stress or displacement, and are essential in formulating the finite element equations that govern the behavior of each element. They allow us to approximate the behavior of a continuous system using discrete elements, making FEM a powerful tool in solving complex problems.

How do I generate a functional in FEM?

In order to generate a functional in FEM, you must first define the problem you want to solve, including the boundary conditions and properties of the system. Next, you will need to discretize the problem and create a finite element mesh. Then, using the governing equations and the properties of each element, you can formulate the functional by summing the contributions from each element. Finally, you can use numerical methods, such as the finite difference method, to solve for the unknown variables and obtain the functional.

What are some common challenges in generating functionals in FEM?

Some common challenges in generating functionals in FEM include selecting an appropriate element type and mesh density for the problem at hand, dealing with complex geometries, and accurately representing material properties and boundary conditions. Additionally, the process can be time-consuming and computationally demanding, requiring specialized software and computing resources.

What are the applications of FEM in science and engineering?

FEM has a wide range of applications in science and engineering, including structural analysis, heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and electromagnetics. It is commonly used in the design and analysis of structures, such as buildings, bridges, and aircraft, as well as in the development of new materials and technologies. FEM is also used in medical imaging and modeling biological systems, making it an important tool in many fields of research.