Cell Phone Booths: Hilarious Comments and Etiquette Tips

• Thread starter Gabrielle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cell
In summary: Yep, call-waiting is annoying too. I do the same thing infinitetime does, if they get a call waiting call while I'm talking to them and they want to take it, I tell them that I'll just go then (especially if I'm calling them long-distance!)
Gabrielle
I found a website with some amusing comments about cell phones:

http://www.molly.com/2004/05/11/cell-phone-stupidity-part-1/

Here's more on the same subject:

http://www.etiquetteexpert.com/news_article_june_03.htm

http://www.etiquetteexpert.com/cnn_live.htm

The two links to the articles about cell phone etiquette above came from this website (see other articles, some on cell phones and other subjects):

http://www.etiquetteexpert.com/news_articles.htm

http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/journalgazette/business/10345833.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
That first link didn't work for me. Don't know if it's broken or just a temporary problem.

I really enjoyed the one you titled "Cell Phone Etiquette." :rofl:

Cell phone booths are a good idea. I've thought we should have them as well. Where the old pay phones used to be in restaurants, just put in a booth with a little bench, maybe a tiny table where you can jot notes down if you need to, so that customers are encouraged to make and take their calls away from the dining customers.

Moonbear said:
That first link didn't work for me. Don't know if it's broken or just a temporary problem.

I really enjoyed the one you titled "Cell Phone Etiquette." :rofl:

Cell phone booths are a good idea. I've thought we should have them as well. Where the old pay phones used to be in restaurants, just put in a booth with a little bench, maybe a tiny table where you can jot notes down if you need to, so that customers are encouraged to make and take their calls away from the dining customers.

I had trouble opening the link for awhile. I finally was able to access it. I think it's because too many people were trying to access it at the same time. Try again. I'm glad you liked the article. There are other articles about cell phones if you open the link, "The Protocol School of Palm Beach" and scroll down through the list.

The worse is people who have those handsfree phones (the ones with the plug you stick in your ear and all you see is a wire hanging down to your purse, pocket, whatever) because it looks like they are talking to themselves while walking around the store, or wherever.

It's sad that people are so self conscious and can't be seen alone without "any friends", so they have to find someone to talk with in order to make it seem like they have a life.

infinitetime said:
It's sad that people are so self conscious and can't be seen alone without "any friends", so they have to find someone to talk with in order to make it seem like they have a life.
I think it's sadder that they aren't happy with the friends they are with at the time, so have to be on the phone to someone else at the same time.

Moonbear said:
I think it's sadder that they aren't happy with the friends they are with at the time, so have to be on the phone to someone else at the same time.

that too

:cry:

Moonbear said:

That's exactly why I don't like "call waiting" - I can't count the number of times I've been interrupted in the middle of a conversation so that they can answer the other incoming call. It's maddening.

Last edited:
Gabrielle said:
That's exactly why I don't like "call waiting" - I can't count the number of times I've been interrupted in the middle of a conversation so that they answer the other incoming call. It's maddening.

Do what I do - hang up when they say, "can you hold, I've got another call?"

:biggrin:

I thought of something else - I hate those phones that are like walkie talkies! The ones where you can hear the other side of the convo!

Like we need to hear everyone's whole life stories!

infinitetime said:
Do what I do - hang up when they say, "can you hold, I've got another call?"

:biggrin:

That's better than what I often do which is to suffer in silence. You've got the right idea. :smile:

infinitetime said:
I thought of something else - I hate those phones that are like walkie talkies! The ones where you can hear the other side of the convo!

Like we need to hear everyone's whole life stories!
Oh, those are really annoying! :grumpy: Plus that annoying squawk they make!

Yep, call-waiting is annoying too. I do the same thing infinitetime does, if they get a call waiting call while I'm talking to them and they want to take it, I tell them that I'll just go then (especially if I'm calling them long-distance!) I just assume that they must be expecting something important if they have to take another call while talking to me, so I should let them go take it.

Moonbear said:
Oh, those are really annoying! :grumpy: Plus that annoying squawk they make!

I find the squawk most pleasing :biggrin:

doesn't everyone?

infinitetime said:
I find the squawk most pleasing :biggrin:

doesn't everyone?

Maybe you'd like to get yourself a rooster to wake up to in the morning instead of your alarm? :biggrin:

sarcasm, sarcasm

actually the conversation of their life would just about do it for me...

Gabrielle said:
Maybe you'd like to get yourself a rooster to wake up to in the morning instead of your alarm? :biggrin:

It works better than MY alarm clock! It goes off at 7:00, I wake up at 9:30! :biggrin:

StarGazer92 said:
It works better than MY alarm clock! It goes off at 7:00, I wake up at 9:30! :biggrin:
Wow, your alarm clock seems to be an hour faster than mine! I've tried everything on the planet, set three alarms, put them all out of reach of the bed, stagger the times, I even put a lamp on a timer and aimed it right at the bed so the light would wake me about the time the alarm was due to go off. NOTHING works! Somehow, I manage to either sleep through the alarms or turn them off without waking up.

Moonbear said:
Wow, your alarm clock seems to be an hour faster than mine! I've tried everything on the planet, set three alarms, put them all out of reach of the bed, stagger the times, I even put a lamp on a timer and aimed it right at the bed so the light would wake me about the time the alarm was due to go off. NOTHING works! Somehow, I manage to either sleep through the alarms or turn them off without waking up.

Put them out of reach of the bed?! Heck, I tape over the alarm button, put it as close to my bed as possible, but even that doesn't work! :zzz:

StarGazer92 said:
Put them out of reach of the bed?! Heck, I tape over the alarm button, put it as close to my bed as possible, but even that doesn't work! :zzz:
:rofl: I definitely sympathize. When I actually do fall asleep, nothing wakes me. I slept through a fire alarm when I lived in dorms. Nobody could believe me; I could barely believe it. I thought they were trying to play a joke on me telling me there was a fire alarm the night before and wondering where I was...those alarms were LOUD! :eek: After that, I had to make sure several people on my floor knew to come pounding on my door on their way out and to have someone check my room if there was ever a real fire, because I apparently could sleep through the dang things. :bugeye: In my house now, I got a smoke detector with a light on it for my bedroom in the hope that the light will wake me if the sound doesn't if it ever goes off at night.

1. What is a cell phone booth?

A cell phone booth is a designated area or booth where individuals can go to use their cell phones in a quiet and respectful manner. It is often used in public places such as libraries, offices, and restaurants to minimize disruptions from loud phone conversations.

2. Why are cell phone booths becoming popular?

With the increasing use of cell phones in public spaces, cell phone booths provide a solution for those who want to use their phones without disturbing others. They also promote etiquette and respect for those around you.

3. What are some etiquette tips for using a cell phone booth?

Some etiquette tips for using a cell phone booth include speaking in a low voice, keeping conversations brief, and avoiding speakerphone or video calls. It is also important to clean up after yourself and be mindful of others waiting to use the booth.

4. Are cell phone booths effective in reducing noise pollution?

While cell phone booths can help reduce noise pollution in public spaces, they may not eliminate it completely. It ultimately depends on the individuals using the booths and their adherence to proper etiquette.

5. Are there any funny comments or experiences associated with cell phone booths?

Yes, there are many hilarious comments and experiences associated with cell phone booths. Some people have shared stories of accidentally walking into the booth thinking it was a bathroom stall, while others have joked about using the booth as a time-out spot for misbehaving cell phones.