Sharing files between Operating Systems

In summary, the best and easiest ways to share files between Windows XP and Ubuntu are through sftp or samba. Sftp requires minimal setup and can be done in two seconds, while samba requires more work and must be enabled in the kernel. Additionally, the Linux partition can also be mounted as a drive under Windows or accessed with a program like Explore2fs. Creating a FAT32 partition would also be an easy solution for transferring files between the two partitions.
mattmns
I currently have Windows XP on hda and Ubuntu on hdb, so what is the best/easiest way to share files between the two? Gracie!

Computer science news on Phys.org
Easiest: sftp

Just run the ssh deamon on ubuntu and then use putty on windows to get the file from the server and vice versa. It will take all of two seconds to setup.

More Convinient: samba

Takes a little work. Must be enabled in the kernel. Windows will see the linux box as another drive. The linux box will see windows as a drive.

Here is a tutorial for samba:

http://ubuntuguide.org/#sambaserver [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks dduardo I will check those out!

dduardo said:
Easiest: sftp

Just run the ssh deamon on ubuntu and then use putty on windows to get the file from the server and vice versa. It will take all of two seconds to setup.

More Convinient: samba

Takes a little work. Must be enabled in the kernel. Windows will see the linux box as another drive. The linux box will see windows as a drive.

Here is a tutorial for samba:

http://ubuntuguide.org/#sambaserver [Broken]

It sounds like the two OS's are running on the same system so running putty/windows and ssh/Linix at the same time will be tough.

Under Linux you can mount NTFS or FAT file systems(FAT is much easier) I don't recall the details though--I banished Windows a long time ago.

Google "mounting windows XP under Linux" and I'm sure the procedure will pop up.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, you can read/write to FAT under Linux, but only read NTFS. Under Windows, you can access files from Linux with http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm, if your Linux partition uses ext2 or ext3. Not sure if there's a similar program for ReiserFS or other filesystems.

Wow, I was out of it. I thought he had two completely separate systems.

faust9, your completely right. Creating a fat32 partition would be the easiest way to transfer files between the two partitions.

sorry about that mattmns. I was a little :zzz:

Hmmm, ok I will now check that out :smile:

1. How can I share files between different operating systems?

There are several ways to share files between different operating systems. One option is to use a cloud storage service, such as Google Drive or Dropbox, which allows you to access your files from any device or operating system. Another option is to use a file sharing protocol, such as FTP or SFTP, to transfer files between devices. Additionally, you can use a file transfer software, such as FileZilla or WinSCP, to transfer files between operating systems over a network.

2. Do all operating systems support the same file types?

No, not all operating systems support the same file types. Some file types, such as .exe or .dmg, are specific to certain operating systems and cannot be opened on others. It is important to check the compatibility of file types before sharing them between operating systems.

3. Can I share files between a mobile operating system and a desktop operating system?

Yes, you can share files between a mobile operating system, such as iOS or Android, and a desktop operating system, such as Windows or MacOS. This can be done through cloud storage services, file sharing protocols, or file transfer software.

4. Are there any security concerns when sharing files between operating systems?

Yes, there are potential security concerns when sharing files between operating systems. It is important to use secure file transfer methods, such as SFTP, and to make sure your files are not accessible to unauthorized users. It is also important to regularly update your operating systems and antivirus software to prevent any potential security breaches.

5. Is there a limit to the file size when sharing between operating systems?

The file size limit when sharing between operating systems will depend on the file transfer method being used. Some cloud storage services may have file size limits, while file sharing protocols and software may have higher limits or no limits at all. It is important to check the limitations of your chosen file transfer method before sharing large files between operating systems.