Differences in approaching Physics

• Thread starter PrudensOptimus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the speaker is expressing frustration with their physics teacher's teaching methods and difficulty understanding the subject. They suggest that physics may be better suited for calculus rather than algebraic equations. Another person adds that calculus is necessary for understanding the basic equations of physics and that it was invented for this purpose.
PrudensOptimus
The long irratation of my physics teacher for his confusious and mad way of approaching physics lead me to post this with my long cogitating thought of what is the difference between approaching classical physics with calculus and normal algebraic mathematics?

My teacher, a graduate of Columbia who is very talented in both mathematics and physics, except one thing, English grammer.

His tests are sometimes hard to read and most of the time hard to understand. The only way to understand is to memorize examples he randomly spits out after having a drink of cofee in class.

I have a very hard time understanding the mechanical problems on his tests, a lot of equations. However, in my Calculus textbook, I have found things much easier. Velocity, Acceleration, displacement can be found easily with just 1 model from them.

So, is Physics better designed for Calculus rather than normal algebraic equations?(because of many variables).

Please share your thoughts, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
People (like me) who have taken both an algebraic intro to physics (meaning mostly mechanics) and a calculus version, have found the calculus version much clearer. Things where the algebraic manipulation to get the answer becomes the be-all and end-all of the lesson are compared to the same thing where the math is 2 or three lines, a derivative and some simple collection of terms. What you learn in the algebra course is a lot of algebraic tricks. What you learn in the calculus version is the physics.

But many problems are given to be solved in normal algebraic equations...I don't see how you can use calculus in those questions. And I haven't taken Physics for Calculus yet so I don't know what are some problems in calculus terms.

Originally posted by PrudensOptimus
So, is Physics better designed for Calculus rather than normal algebraic equations?(because of many variables).

The basic equations of physics are differential equations. So you need Calculus to do physics. If you want a feel for how physics was without calculus, read Galileo in e.g. "On the Shoulders of Giants". Newton (and Liebniz) invented calculus in order to be able to progress in physics.

What is the difference between classical and quantum physics?

Classical physics deals with the behavior of macroscopic objects, while quantum physics focuses on the behavior of subatomic particles. Classical physics follows deterministic laws, while quantum physics involves probabilities and uncertainties. Additionally, classical physics is based on Newton's laws of motion, while quantum physics is based on the principles of quantum mechanics.

How is experimental physics different from theoretical physics?

Experimental physics involves conducting experiments and gathering data to test theories and hypotheses. Theoretical physics, on the other hand, focuses on creating mathematical models and theories to explain physical phenomena. Experimental physics is more concerned with practical applications, while theoretical physics is more abstract and conceptual.

What is the difference between relativistic and non-relativistic physics?

Relativistic physics incorporates the principles of Einstein's theory of relativity, which describes the behavior of objects at high speeds or in strong gravitational fields. Non-relativistic physics, on the other hand, deals with lower speeds and weaker gravitational fields. Relativistic physics also takes into account the concept of space-time, while non-relativistic physics does not.

What are the main differences between classical mechanics and quantum mechanics?

Classical mechanics is concerned with the motion of macroscopic objects and is based on Newton's laws of motion. Quantum mechanics, on the other hand, deals with the behavior of subatomic particles and is based on the principles of quantum mechanics. Classical mechanics follows deterministic laws, while quantum mechanics involves probabilities and uncertainties. Additionally, classical mechanics is applicable to everyday situations, while quantum mechanics is essential for understanding the behavior of particles at a microscopic level.

How do theoretical and experimental physics work together?

Theoretical and experimental physics are two complementary approaches to understanding the physical world. Theoretical physicists use mathematical models and theories to explain physical phenomena, which can then be tested and verified through experiments conducted by experimental physicists. Theoretical and experimental physicists work together to advance our understanding of the universe and to develop new technologies based on their research.