Convert g*cm^2 to kg*m^2: Explanation & Help

In summary, In general when converting units set your quantity to be converted and your conversion factor up as a multiplication of fractions. For example from m/s to cm/s.
azure.hubris
Hello,
I need to convert a moment of intertia value given in g*cm^2 to kg*m^2, and was hoping someone could give me a run down of the method behind these kind of conversions. Do I simply assume that since g to kg is a factor 0.001 and cm to m is 0.01, that I can apply a factor of 0.00001 to my initial value? I feel that that method would be fine for say, g*cm to kg*cm, but I'm not sure how to account for the squared dimension. Any help/explanation would be appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
In general when converting units set your quantity to be converted and your conversion factor up as a multiplication of fractions. For example from m/s to cm/s
[tex] 10 \frac m s * 100 \frac {cm} {m} = 10*100 \frac m s * \frac {cm} {m} = 1000 \frac {cm} s [/tex]
Note that in this example the m in the numerator cancels the m in the denominator, leaving only cm in the numerator.

Last edited:
okay, i see what you mean, I've used that technique before, but the confusion came from two places for me.
1) that I'm dealing with a squared quantity, so would the conversion be 1000cm^2/m^2?
2) that the it's g*cm^2, rather than g/cm^2, leaving me wondering how to actually set up the calculation.

i'm sure it's quite obvious how to do this, but the way i set it up, the units don't cancel out. i need to be certain of this conversion before i can begin to do the problem, since it's for an online assignment for which i have only one attempt. could you possibly lay out how you'd set it up for the case of my calculation? i know it's not usually acceptable to 'give' the solution away in this forum, but the physics of the problem are not a concern, just this one calculation. okay, thanks again for your help.

The method is the same just square the conversion factors. So

[tex]10m^2 = 10 m^2 * (100 \frac {cm} m)^2 = 10 * 10^4 m^2 \frac {cm^2} {m^2} = 10^5 cm^2[/tex]

thanks for your help!

1. How do I convert g*cm^2 to kg*m^2?

To convert from g*cm^2 to kg*m^2, you need to divide the value in g*cm^2 by 10,000. This is because there are 10,000 square centimeters in a square meter and 1,000 grams in a kilogram.

2. Why do we need to convert from g*cm^2 to kg*m^2?

We need to convert from g*cm^2 to kg*m^2 in order to convert between different units of measurement for mass and area. g*cm^2 is a unit of measurement for mass multiplied by area, while kg*m^2 is a unit of measurement for moment of inertia, which is a measure of an object's resistance to rotation.

3. What is the formula for converting g*cm^2 to kg*m^2?

The formula for converting g*cm^2 to kg*m^2 is: moment of inertia (kg*m^2) = mass (g) * distance (cm)^2 / 10,000

4. Can I use an online converter to convert g*cm^2 to kg*m^2?

Yes, there are many online converters that can quickly and accurately convert between different units of measurement, including g*cm^2 to kg*m^2. Just be sure to double check the conversion to ensure accuracy.

5. What are some examples of objects that have a moment of inertia measured in kg*m^2?

Some examples of objects with a moment of inertia measured in kg*m^2 include a spinning top, a bicycle wheel, and a merry-go-round. The moment of inertia for these objects is important in understanding their rotational motion and stability.