Amplitude and frequency dependence on energy of a wave.

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the energy, frequency, and amplitude of a wave, specifically focusing on the energy of an electromagnetic wave and a photon. It is pointed out that the energy of an EM wave is proportional to the square of its amplitude, while the energy of a photon is proportional to its frequency according to the Planck relation. However, it is clarified that the frequency of a wave is not directly proportional to the square of its amplitude due to the fact that an EM wave is made up of many individual photons. The conversation then delves into the concept of a photon being a wave packet and the composition of an EM wave through wave packets. Some recommended articles on the topic are also mentioned.
Famwoor2
Hello all,

I have learned that the energy of a wave is proportional to the square of its amplitude. I have also learned (by the Planck relation) that the energy of a wave is proportional to the frequency of the wave. Doesn't this imply that the frequency of a wave is proportional to the square of its amplitude? I know this deduction is wrong; what am I messing up here??

Thanks for your help and time,
F2

Physics news on Phys.org
The energy of a photon is proportional to its frequency. Eγ=hv where h is Planck's constant and v is the frequency.

The energy of an EM wave is indeed proportional to the square of its amplitude. But this wave is made of many individual photons. An EM wave coming from a blue light can have the same energy as an EM wave coming from a red light, but the red light will consist of more photons to make up for a smaller energy per photon.

So is a photon a wave packet, and an EM wave a composition of wave packets (photons)?

Hi Famwood2

So is a photon a wave packet, and an EM wave a composition of wave packets (photons)?

that's my understanding, Yes tho through reading I understand that a photon doesn't have to be restricted to a wave packet

here's a couple of articles you may find interesting :smile:

Photon wave functions, wave-packet quantization of light, and coherence theory
http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/0708/0708.0831.pdf

Focus: Shaping Single Photons
Published September 5, 2008 | Phys. Rev. Focus 22, 8 (2008) | DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevFocus.22.8

cheers
Dave

Thanks!

What is the relationship between amplitude and energy of a wave?

The amplitude of a wave is directly proportional to its energy. This means that as the amplitude increases, so does the energy of the wave. Similarly, as the amplitude decreases, the energy of the wave decreases as well.

How does frequency affect the energy of a wave?

The frequency of a wave is also directly proportional to its energy. A higher frequency wave has more energy than a lower frequency wave. This can be seen in the equation E=hf, where E is energy, h is Planck's constant, and f is frequency.

Why does the energy of a wave depend on its amplitude and frequency?

The energy of a wave is determined by the amount of energy transferred as the wave passes through a medium. Both the amplitude and frequency of a wave affect the amount of energy transferred, thus affecting the overall energy of the wave.

Can the energy of a wave change without changing its amplitude or frequency?

In most cases, no. The energy of a wave is primarily dependent on its amplitude and frequency. However, there are certain phenomena such as interference and diffraction that can change the energy of a wave without directly changing the amplitude or frequency.

How does the energy of a wave affect its properties and behavior?

The energy of a wave plays a crucial role in determining its properties and behavior. Waves with higher energy can travel further and have a greater impact on the medium they are passing through. Additionally, the energy of a wave also affects its speed and wavelength.