Was it really the worst day to attend a WVU football game?

• Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
In summary: I don't know, I thought it was a pretty even game. I guess I was just expecting more from WVU. In summary, the game was really disappointing, but at least I got to see a WVU football game!
russ_watters
Mentor
...go see a WVU football game! A buddy of mine who is an alum invited me to head out to a game with him and the way the season unfolded set up a situation where I got to see one of the biggest upsets in college football history. It really was a pathetic game.

But hey, at least I got to hang out with Moonbear!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, too bad the game turned out so badly. That one fumble by Brown was absolutely HORRID...(Yeah, I was watching on and off, and even I couldn't miss how bad that was).

I hope you've thawed out. What a cold night for a game. Brrrrrrr!

It was great seeing you here. Hopefully you'll make the trip more often with your buddy.

It is so difficult to control a ball with just the foot, now if they were allowed to pick it up and run with it.

wolram said:
It is so difficult to control a ball with just the foot, now if they were allowed to pick it up and run with it.

:biggrin: The other football, then one where they pick it up and run with it and only rarely are allowed to actually kick it. :wink:

Moonbear said:
:biggrin: The other football...
No, there is only one football - that other game is called "soccer".

russ_watters said:
No, there is only one football - that other game is called "soccer".

:rofl: Aww, but Wollie speaks that strange form of English, so I thought I'd explain it in his language. :biggrin: Of course, we might as well have called last night's game soccer, as much as it resembled football. :rolleyes:

What kind of WVU fans are you folks (I know Russ really isn't one, but Moonbear ought to know better)? Here's what you're supposed to say:
If only Pat White hadn't dislocated his thumb early in the game...

Moonbear said:
:rofl: Aww, but Wollie speaks that strange form of English, so I thought I'd explain it in his language. :biggrin: Of course, we might as well have called last night's game soccer, as much as it resembled football. :rolleyes:
Then there's that "football" from Australia - a game that seems to have some convoluted rules and terminology and affords some pretty good opportunities for injuries. :uhh:

I was surprised by the outcome of that game as well. Didn't the spread favor WVU by four TDs?

Gokul43201 said:
What kind of WVU fans are you folks (I know Russ really isn't one, but Moonbear ought to know better)? Here's what you're supposed to say:

:rofl: White has to be the most fragile football player I've ever heard of. Does he ever make it through a game without an injury? Not that I watch a lot of games, but every one I watch, he's either out with an injury, or acquires an injury sometime within the first half that sends him out the rest of the game. He also always has this really lost, bewildered look when he's playing, like he's not quite sure how he ended up on the field. But, unless White dislocated Brown's thumb, that sure doesn't excuse that pathetic fumble.

(Yeah, you already know how much of a football fan I am. That's why I spend more time noticing the bewildered expressions on the players' faces than making excuses for bad plays.)

Gokul43201 said:
Here's what you're supposed to say:
See, but that's just it - he wasn't moving the ball well either. They may have been able to squeak-out a win with him playing, but maybe not. And It would bring up the interesting conundrum about whether a team can drop down a spot or two even after a win.
I know Russ really isn't one...
Yeah, Navy beat Army, so all in all, I thought the day turned out just fine! :biggrin:

Last edited:
russ_watters said:
See, but that's just it - he wasn't moving the ball well either. They may have been able to squeak-out a win with him playing, but maybe not. And It would bring up the interesting conundrum about whether a team can drop down a spot or two even after a win.
Maybe it's because I'm not such a devoted football fan, but to me, if a team falls apart just because a single player is out, then it tells me the team isn't really that good, they're just counting on one good player to carry them. Since players do get injured, the team should be prepared to carry on with one or two of their starters sidelined.

Yeah, Navy beat Army, so all in all, I thought the day turned out just fine! :biggrin:

Y'know, you never even told me the score on that game. I thought maybe Navy lost too since you weren't talking much about it, so I didn't ask. :rofl:

Moonbear said:
Y'know, you never even told me the score on that game. I thought maybe Navy lost too since you weren't talking much about it, so I didn't ask. :rofl:
Russ was pretty quiet after the Navy-ND game too, and that was a much bigger deal! Wassup, Russ?

Gokul43201 said:
Russ was pretty quiet after the Navy-ND game too, and that was a much bigger deal! Wassup, Russ?

Well, you know Russ, he's such a shy, reserved guy who never really expresses what he's thinking... :biggrin:

Math Jeans said:
I was surprised by the outcome of that game as well. Didn't the spread favor WVU by four TDs?

actually I would have been surprised if WVU won, with all the upsets this year, being #1 and #2 means bad luck

Gokul43201 said:
No. Ask any Navy fan - the Army/Navy game is the biggest game of any season.

proton said:
actually I would have been surprised if WVU won, with all the upsets this year, being #1 and #2 means bad luck

Since October 7th, the top two teams in the nation have a 5-11 record.

Which means both LSU and Ohio St will be underdogs in the BCS title game.

My prediction: LSU wins decisively, but it's then discovered one of their players had illegal contact with an agent and LSU has to forfeit the game. Virginia Tech winds up being considered the national champion.

1. What factors determine if a day is considered the "worst" to attend a WVU football game?

The "worst" day to attend a WVU football game can be determined by a variety of factors such as extreme weather conditions, low attendance, poor team performance, and lack of exciting matchups.

2. How is the impact of the "worst" day to attend a WVU football game measured?

The impact of the "worst" day to attend a WVU football game can be measured by the number of fans in attendance, ticket sales, and overall game reviews and ratings.

3. What makes attending a WVU football game on a "worst" day different from other days?

Attending a WVU football game on a "worst" day can be different from other days in terms of the overall experience. The weather may be unfavorable, the energy in the stadium may be low, and the game may not be as competitive or exciting.

4. How does the "worst" day to attend a WVU football game affect the team's performance?

The "worst" day to attend a WVU football game can potentially affect the team's performance if there are adverse weather conditions or if the lack of fan support and energy can impact the players' morale and motivation.

5. Is attending a WVU football game on the "worst" day worth it?

Attending a WVU football game on the "worst" day can still be worth it for die-hard fans who want to support their team and experience the game atmosphere despite the challenges. However, for casual fans, it may not be worth it due to the potential negative factors that can affect the overall game experience.