Which branch of engineering is the most mathematical?

In summary, both Mechanical and Electrical Engineering have a lot of mathematical content. It is up to the individual to decide which field they would like to pursue.
Nusc
Mechanical or Electrical?

Also, is a course in optimization useful? This does not necessarily pertain to engineers. If so, in what other fields? Besides applied mathematics/numerical analysis.

Physics news on Phys.org
They are both mathematical to the extent that there isn't much difference between them. At my university EE's take one more calc course than do the rest of the engineering fields (vector calc), but so what? The others probably learn it on a more 'introduce it as we go along' kind of basis.

i like engineering because its very mathematical.

I have friends from both majors. Couldn't tell who learns more mathematics. But they learned (as far as undergrad curriculum at our institution) different mathematics. ME guy seemed to know more of ODE,PDE,Vector Calculus, and so on. EE guy seemed to know more of Fourier Analysis, Complex Analysis and so on. Seriously, there's no way of telling who learns more. I think this extends to include math majors as well.

mathis314 said:
i like engineering because its very mathematical.

I love calculus mostly, well basic and some of the advanced theories. But during my first year in university (this year) I have finally noticed that it probably is not a field I would like to go in. I think it would just take too much of my time, which I do not like.

BTW Nusc, I have a friend and he told me they are basically all the same. It is just that some specialize in a specific field of mathematics, but usually all the same in terms of amount of mathematics courses.

PDE (Partial differential equation) and vector calculus would be the highest for both fields, undergrad-wise. Depending on your specialization, you might take higher maths courses.

Some brave computer science majors read homology these days to devise different graphics algorithms.

you'll be doing lots of PDE's in chemical engineering, and there are a ton of graphs to use (though may be familiar, the psychrometric chart). I love problem solving and every minute of cheme!

EE's come across Fourier analysis, and perhaps unfamiliar to some, laplace transforms.

I'm an EE. You will use tons of laplace transforms, and Fourier analysis is also used ubiquitously. You will see lots of prob/stats in comm systems. You will also see lots of vector calc in fields. Of course you will use some linear algebra too. Obviously DE is important too. I've never had a full PDE course though, but PDEs come up a lot, particularly in fields.

I'm a double major in EE and physics, and I would say the scope of the mathematics I have used was broader for EE than it was for physics. I can't comment on ME though.

thats a nice package, a double in physics and electrical engineering.

For my physics major, I have to take Cal I-III, Linear Algebra, Diff. Eq., Intro. to Partial Diff. Eq., and Vector Analysis. I'm also taking Intro. to Complex Analysis to better prepare for graduate school.

hi , i like maths
and i would also like to know about civil engineering as well
how broad is the maths there?

thanks

Last edited:
who in the world doesn't want to take as many math classes as possible?

Someone who wants to stay sane. ;)

I've taken calc 1-3, Multivariable, Diff EQ, Linear Algebra, and then whatever else was thrown into my physics classes, like calc of variations and more Diff EQ stuff.

I like it for being able to do the physics, not in and of itself.

Poop-Loops said:
Someone who wants to stay sane. ;)

I've taken calc 1-3, Multivariable, Diff EQ, Linear Algebra, and then whatever else was thrown into my physics classes, like calc of variations and more Diff EQ stuff.

I like it for being able to do the physics, not in and of itself.

I feel the same way; I'm currently in Cal III. I like being able to use the math to solve physics problems.

ice109 said:
who in the world doesn't want to take as many math classes as possible?
weirdos. (-:

At our school, everyone takes the same basic math program...but beyond that, I'm guessing its probably the Aero E's that have the most math.

i want to know which engineering branch is more mathematical?please give me information about the branch bcoz i should opt my branch.

Is automation a part of mechanical? and wat is the difference between them?can one change branch in 2nd year. also please suggest whether petroleum engineering is well scoped. how is rajiv gandhi inst. of petroleum technology at rae bareli? please please reply as soon as possible?

1. What is the most mathematical branch of engineering?

The most mathematical branch of engineering is typically considered to be electrical engineering. This is because it heavily relies on principles of calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra to design and analyze electrical systems.

2. Is mechanical engineering more mathematical than other branches of engineering?

While mechanical engineering does involve a significant amount of math, it is not necessarily more mathematical than other branches of engineering. Mechanical engineering requires a strong understanding of calculus, physics, and mechanics, but other branches such as electrical and aerospace engineering also heavily rely on mathematical principles.

3. Are there any branches of engineering that are not very mathematical?

All branches of engineering require some degree of mathematical understanding. However, some branches, such as civil engineering, may not rely on advanced mathematical concepts as heavily as others. Civil engineering, for example, may use basic algebra and geometry to design structures and systems.

4. How important is math in engineering?

Math is a crucial aspect of engineering. It is used to solve problems, design systems, and analyze data. Engineers must have a strong foundation in math in order to be successful in their field.

5. Can someone with a weak math background still become an engineer?

While a strong understanding of math is necessary for engineering, it is not the only skill that is required. With dedication and hard work, someone with a weaker math background can still become an engineer. However, they may need to spend extra time and effort to improve their mathematical skills in order to be successful in the field.