Need help converting battery clock to DC

In summary: Assuming that the adaptor can provide 1.5 volts, then yes, it should work. Assuming that the adaptor can provide 1.5 volts, then yes, it should work.
grime
I have a clock that eats up the batteries it runs on pretty quickly, and so I would like to convert it to run on DC power.

The clock has a total of 2 D batteries, 1 in each "foot" of the clock (they are separate). There is a white wire that starts at the + side of one battery, goes over to the + side of the other battery, then into the motor. There are 2 black wires that connect to each - side of each battery and then into the motor. The 2 black wires do not connect to one another (unless it is inside the motor assembly).

Can anyone assist in getting me started?

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Batteries are DC. You mean you want to use an AC to DC power source?

It sounds like the batteries are in parallel, but it is tough to know without tracing out the black wires. But once you do figure that out, you can get a power supply at Radio Shack to provide the needed 1.5V or 3V power.

Welcome to PF.

Thanks for the quick reply, Russ.

So if it's parallel, I need 1.5V, correct? Does the amperage of the power supply matter at all?

So, take one battery out and see if it still runs OK. If the batteries are in parallel, it's just for longer-lasting battery life.

Id like to see the answer to this as well, as I'm considering setting up an instrument to take energy sources toggle-able between its native batteries and a modded 240 adaptor.

It seems to run fine on 1 battery, so it looks like they are in parallel.

TVP45 said:
So, take one battery out and see if it still runs OK. If the batteries are in parallel, it's just for longer-lasting battery life.
Duh, I should have thought of that.

grime said:
Does the amperage of the power supply matter at all?

Yes, typically D cell batteries supply higher amperage and amp hours (battery life). If it runs fine on AAA batteries or smaller then amperage is not a problem but it sounds like a higher amperage clock, 1 amp should be enough.

JGM_14 said:
Yes, typically D cell batteries supply higher amperage and amp hours (battery life). If it runs fine on AAA batteries or smaller then amperage is not a problem but it sounds like a higher amperage clock, 1 amp should be enough.

Im not meaning to hijack your thread here but seeing as this guy seems to know what he's talking about and only one guy's posted help in my thread, how would this work out for 4xAA in series?

1. How do I convert a battery-powered clock to DC?

To convert a battery-powered clock to DC, you will need to open the back of the clock and locate the battery. Remove the battery and identify the positive and negative terminals. Then, connect a DC power supply, such as a battery pack or adapter, to the corresponding terminals. Make sure to match the voltage of the power supply to the voltage of the battery.

2. Can I use any DC power supply to convert my battery clock?

No, it is important to match the voltage of the DC power supply to the voltage of the battery in the clock. Using a power supply with a higher voltage can damage the clock.

3. What if my clock has multiple batteries?

If your clock has multiple batteries, you will need to connect the DC power supply to each battery individually, making sure to match the voltage of the power supply to each individual battery.

4. Is there a specific type of battery I should use for the conversion?

You can use any type of battery for the conversion as long as you match the voltage to the DC power supply. However, it is recommended to use a rechargeable battery for a more sustainable and cost-effective solution.

5. Can I use a DC power supply to convert any battery-powered device?

Yes, you can use a DC power supply to convert most battery-powered devices as long as you match the voltage of the power supply to the voltage of the battery used in the device.