Centrifugal Force and Angular Velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of centripetal force and the confusion surrounding the units of angular velocity. The solution involves using radians as a dimensionless unit of measure and converting to Newtons using the equation F=ma. The concept of radians being dimensionless is also mentioned.
lylos

Homework Statement

I'm working on a problem in which I have to calculate the centrifugal force. I know the equation and everything, I'm just stuck on what units my angular velocity should have.

Homework Equations

[tex]\vec{F_{cen}}=-m\omega\times(\omega \times r')[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've evaluated the above with angular velocity having units rotations*s^-1. I know that angular velocity should have units rad/s but I'm wondering how one gets units of Newtons when using rad/s as the unit of angular velocity. I've never really understood this, what is so special about radians that you can ignore them when converting units?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if I can fully answer your question, but I can at least answer some.

Why can you drop the degrees when you do cos(degree)? I don't know the answer, all I know is you just can.

You can get N from angular velocity this way. F = ma. In this case, a is centripetal acceleration, which is = w^2 * r. Now you get m/s^2, multiply that by mass and you get Newtons.

lylos said:
I've never really understood this, what is so special about radians that you can ignore them when converting units?
You don't just ignore them; a radian is a dimensionless unit of measure . A radian is defined as the arc length of a circle subtended by the central angle between 2 radii of a circle, divided by the radius of the circle, that is, rad=s/r, where s is the arc length subtended by the cenrtral angle, and r is the radius of the circle. As you should see, the radian has units of length/length, which is dimensionless. That's how you end up with Newtons as the centripetal force unit, as Cashmoney has noted.

That makes better sense. Thank you!

1. What is centrifugal force?

Centrifugal force is a perceived force that acts on an object moving in a curved path. It is a result of the object's inertia and the centripetal force acting on it.

2. How is centrifugal force related to angular velocity?

Centrifugal force is directly proportional to the angular velocity of an object. As the angular velocity increases, so does the centrifugal force acting on the object.

3. Can centrifugal force exist without angular velocity?

No, centrifugal force can only exist when an object is moving in a curved path, which is a result of angular velocity. Without angular velocity, there would be no curved path and therefore no centrifugal force.

4. How does centrifugal force affect the stability of rotating objects?

Centrifugal force creates a destabilizing effect on rotating objects, as it acts in the opposite direction to the centripetal force that keeps the object in its curved path. This can cause the object to wobble or even fly off its path if not properly controlled.

5. Can centrifugal force be used for practical purposes?

Yes, centrifugal force has many practical applications, such as in centrifuges used for separating materials, in amusement park rides, and in the design of rotating machinery. It can also be used for artificial gravity in space stations and spacecraft.