Find the Plane: Perpendicular to yz-Plane & y=-2, z=4

In summary, the student is trying to determine the equation of a perpendicular plane that has y-intercept at 4 and z-intercept at -2. The normal to the plane is perpendicular to this vector, so the plane is located at (0,1,1). The student is trying to find the equation of the plane using the y- and z-intercepts at 4 and -2, but is having trouble because the normal is not <0, 1, 1>.
adrimare

Homework Statement

Determine the Cartesian equation of the plane that is perpendicular to the yz-plane and has y-intercept 4 and z-intercept -2.

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty sure that the normal to the plane I want to find would be (0,1,1). A y-intercept would go through (0,y,0) and a z-intercept would go through or be (0,0,z). How do I make an equation with a y and z- intercept at 4 and -2 respectively?

Physics news on Phys.org

adrimare said:

Homework Statement

Determine the Cartesian equation of the plane that is perpendicular to the yz-plane and has y-intercept 4 and z-intercept -2.

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty sure that the normal to the plane I want to find would be (0,1,1). A y-intercept would go through (0,y,0) and a z-intercept would go through or be (0,0,z). How do I make an equation with a y and z- intercept at 4 and -2 respectively?
No, the normal to the plane is NOT <0, 1, 1>. The normal is perpendicular to this vector. The plane is perpendicular to the y-z plane. The y-intercept is 4, which means that the point (0, 4, 0) is on the plane. The z-intercept is -2, which means that what point is on the plane?

If you're not already doing so, draw a sketch using a three-dimensional coordinate system. It will help you get your head around these kinds of problems.

My teacher said to forget about learning how to sketch, so that's out. Is the normal to the plane (1,0,0) then? So (0,4,0) and (0,0,-2) are both on the plane. How would I stick those points on a plane with a Cartesian equation of x=0, then? I need to get a D-value, which I can get from points, I know, but when the equation is 1x + 0y + 0z + D, would the intercepts kind of not really matter? The D-value would be 0, so the equation would be x=0, right? Or am I wrong about the normal again? Or am I supposed to be looking for the direction vector formed by the two intercepts and use that as my normal?

1. How do you find the coordinates of a plane perpendicular to the yz-plane?

To find the coordinates of a plane perpendicular to the yz-plane, you need to set the x-value to a constant value, let's say x=k. This means that the plane will pass through all points with the x-coordinate equal to k. The equation of the plane will then be x=k.

2. What is the equation of a plane perpendicular to the yz-plane if y=-2 and z=4?

The equation of a plane perpendicular to the yz-plane can be written as x=k, where k is a constant value. Since the plane is perpendicular to the yz-plane, the x-value does not depend on the y and z values. Therefore, the equation would be x=k, where k is any real number. This means that the plane is a vertical plane passing through all points with the x-coordinate equal to k.

3. How do you graph a plane perpendicular to the yz-plane with the equation x=3?

To graph a plane perpendicular to the yz-plane with the equation x=3, you need to draw a vertical line at x=3. This line will represent all points on the plane with the x-coordinate equal to 3. Since the plane is perpendicular to the yz-plane, it will also extend infinitely in the y and z directions.

4. How many planes can be perpendicular to the yz-plane?

There are infinitely many planes that can be perpendicular to the yz-plane. This is because for any value of x, there is a unique plane that can be perpendicular to the yz-plane. Therefore, there is no limit to the number of planes that can be perpendicular to the yz-plane.

5. What is the relationship between a plane perpendicular to the yz-plane and the x-axis?

A plane perpendicular to the yz-plane is parallel to the x-axis. This is because the x-axis is defined as the line with a constant x-value of 0, and any plane perpendicular to the yz-plane has a constant x-value. Therefore, the plane and the x-axis never intersect and are always parallel to each other.