Does anyone know when the LHC will be open to the public again?

In summary: Visiting any other facility doesn't put one right into the inner workings. I'm sure there must be observation rooms, guideways and guides to keep people running off and fiddling around with the superconducting supercollider!
James1991
I am hoping to visit CERN at some point, but the underground areas are closed off at the moment. So just wondering if anyone knows when it's open to the public again

Physics news on Phys.org
Not until the upgrade in 10 years or so, probably.

Will the visitors get free souvenir hadrons?

Jimmy Snyder said:
Will the visitors get free souvenir hadrons?

Yes, the receptionist is very charming.

waht said:
Yes, the receptionist is very charming.
Terrific. Perhaps I'll bump into you there.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Terrific. Perhaps I'll bump into you there.

Or the anti-me.

Again? I doubt very much that the LHC tunnel was ever open to the general public. There are electrical hazards, cryogenic hazards, oxygen deficiency hazards and now that the machine has been operating, radiation hazards. As if that weren't enough, yhere are areas where millions of dollars of damage could be caused by a careless visitor.

Vanadium 50 said:
yhere are areas where millions of dollars of damage could be caused by a careless visitor.

Well this is a first, you may want to correct the typo "yhere", this could be mistaken for Pirate English, and no one would want to mistake you for a pirate... lol

Rhody...

Shiver me timbers, matey!

Don't forget about all the black holes down there now that the LHC has been running.

If a tourist happened to fall into one of those, the legal problems would be phenomenal! Of course, since it's a black hole, there wouldn't be any evidence left of the tourist falling in there. (And there are many other black holes for any witnesses... Man, those guys at CERN are in deep.)

If you type 342292850771 in the keypad, it's open to the public right now

rhody said:
Well this is a first, you may want to correct the typo "yhere", this could be mistaken for Pirate English, and no one would want to mistake you for a pirate... lol

Rhody...

That's not the worst typo you can make when talking about the large hadron collider.

Jack21222 said:
That's not the worst typo you can make when talking about the large hadron collider.

Jack,

Amen, and then some, being anal retentive about everything technical with inner workings of the LHC would be grossly "understating" the level of attention to detail required to keep it running safe...

I was just having a bit of fun with v_50, he is a pithy guy. Up to now have never seen him make a mistake with spelling. We should cut him some slack, I worked 52 hours last week, did little posting on PF because I was so fried learning a new intense skill at work.

Rhody...

rhody said:
Jack,

Amen, and then some, being anal retentive about everything technical with inner workings of the LHC would be grossly "understating" the level of attention to detail required to keep it running safe...

I was just having a bit of fun with v_50, he is a pithy guy. Up to now have never seen him make a mistake with spelling. We should cut him some slack, I worked 52 hours last week, did little posting on PF because I was so fried learning a new intense skill at work.

Rhody...

My point was, at least he didn't do this:

telegraph_lhc.jpg

Vanadium 50 said:
Again? I doubt very much that the LHC tunnel was ever open to the general public. There are electrical hazards, cryogenic hazards, oxygen deficiency hazards and now that the machine has been operating, radiation hazards. As if that weren't enough, yhere are areas where millions of dollars of damage could be caused by a careless visitor.

Visiting any other facility doesn't put one right into the inner workings. I'm sure there must be observation rooms, guideways and guides to keep people running off and fiddling around with the superconducting supercollider!

1. What is the LHC and why is it closed to the public?

The LHC, or Large Hadron Collider, is a particle accelerator located at CERN in Switzerland. It is currently closed to the public due to ongoing maintenance and upgrades.

2. How long has the LHC been closed to the public?

The LHC has been closed to the public since December 2018 for a planned two-year shutdown period to perform upgrades and maintenance on the machine.

3. When is the LHC expected to reopen to the public?

The LHC is expected to reopen to the public in 2021 once the planned upgrades and maintenance have been completed. However, the exact date is not yet confirmed.

4. Will there be any changes to the LHC when it reopens to the public?

Yes, there will be significant upgrades and improvements to the LHC when it reopens. These include a higher-intensity beam and new detectors, allowing for more precise measurements and potential new discoveries.

5. How can I visit the LHC when it reopens to the public?

The LHC can be visited as part of a guided tour at CERN. However, availability may be limited and advance booking is recommended. More information can be found on CERN's website.