Is there a scientific basis for playing music to plants?

In summary, while studying, the protagonist worked part time at a market selling fruits and vegetables. Recently, they found out that the capsicum supplier plays music to his plants in order to stimulate their growth. Some believe that it is insects which respond to the music, while others argue that it is the plants themselves which are stimulated.
danago
Gold Member
While i am studying i have been working part time at a market selling fruits and vegetables. I recently found out that the capsicum supplier actually plays music to his plants.

I'm not sure if this is going to sound like a stupid question, but does this somehow affect their growth? Is there any merit in playing music to something that can't think, or is it in the psychology of the grower?

Any input is greatly appreciated :smile:

P.S. They are very good capsicums! However, he does grow them in a greenhouse under a controlled temperature, so i don't think i can attribute their quality solely to the music :tongue:

Biology news on Phys.org
i think it's invisible-to-the-naked-eye insects which respond to the music, and dance around on the plants, stimulating their growth. :biggrin:

tiny-tim said:
i think it's invisible-to-the-naked-eye insects which respond to the music, and dance around on the plants, stimulating their growth. :biggrin:

Haha i guess those insects sure know how to throw wild dance parties :smile: I bet they have disco lights and all

and deely boppers! :smile:

tiny-tim said:
and deely boppers! :smile:

I won't lie...i had to search Wikipedia for what a deely bobber was, but yes i bet they have those too :tongue:

essential wear for jitterbugs! :biggrin:

Dorothy Retallack seemed to think so, but I've no idea if her experiment was ever reproduced.

One of the first people to research on the subject was Scientist Jagdish Chandra Bose, though he concentrated more on plant feelings.

And if I remember correctly, Mythbusters also had an episode on this.

edit: found the episode. It says it is plausible. But I don't know if it is a proper experiment.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBusters_(2004_season)#Talking_to_Plants

Last edited:
tiny-tim said:
essential wear for jitterbugs! :biggrin:

Indeed :smile:

Pythagorean said:
Dorothy Retallack seemed to think so, but I've no idea if her experiment was ever reproduced.

mishrashubham said:
One of the first people to research on the subject was Scientist Jagdish Chandra Bose, though he concentrated more on plant feelings.

And if I remember correctly, Mythbusters also had an episode on this.

edit: found the episode. It says it is plausible. But I don't know if it is a proper experiment.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBusters_(2004_season)#Talking_to_Plants

Thanks for the replies! I will have a look into those names and see what i can find :smile:

1. How does playing music to plants affect their growth?

There have been numerous studies conducted on the effects of playing music to plants. One study found that plants exposed to classical music showed an increase in growth, while plants exposed to rock music showed a decrease in growth. However, the exact mechanism behind this phenomenon is still unclear.

2. What type of music is best for plants?

As mentioned before, classical music has been shown to have a positive effect on plant growth. Other types of music that have been found to have a similar effect include jazz, ambient, and folk music. It is believed that these types of music have a calming effect on plants, allowing them to grow more effectively.

3. How long should music be played to plants?

There is no set time limit for playing music to plants, but studies have shown that playing music for at least an hour a day can have a significant impact on their growth. It is important to note that the volume of music should not be too loud, as it can have a negative effect on the plants.

4. Do different types of plants respond differently to music?

Yes, different types of plants may respond differently to music. Some plants may thrive when exposed to classical music, while others may prefer more upbeat music. It is important to experiment with different types of music to see which one has the most positive effect on a particular plant.

5. Can playing music to plants improve their overall health?

While there is no concrete evidence to support this, many people believe that playing music to plants can improve their overall health. It is believed that music can reduce stress levels in plants and help them to better absorb nutrients and water. However, more research is needed to fully understand the potential health benefits of playing music to plants.