Good books/articles I can learn java from? Or another programming language?

In summary, the conversation suggests using free resources such as the C++ books by Bruce Eckel or the online tutorials provided by Oracle for learning programming. It is also mentioned that Python is easier to learn while C++ offers more control.
mariexotoni
From free PDF's to books I have to buy. Anything that will be helpful

Technology news on Phys.org
mariexotoni said:
From free PDF's to books I have to buy. Anything that will be helpful

Hey mariexotoni and welcome to the forums.

One book that I can recommend that is free (I used this a very long time ago) is the C++ books by Bruce Eckel. I don't know exactly what they are like now but they were very comprehensive and they are free to download. Take a look here:

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/docs/books/eckel/

thanks so much!

Alright. Sorry if this wasn't what you were looking for, and this is probably a bit late, but I suggest you use Python (much easier to learn) first, or C++ (a lot faster to program in and a bit faster to run, as well as giving you more control) as chiro recommended.

okay, no it's not too late. :) going to start lookin' at it over the weekend when i have some extra time to play with.

1. What are the best books/articles to learn Java from?

The best books/articles to learn Java from may vary depending on your learning style and experience level. However, some popular choices among beginners include "Head First Java" by Kathy Sierra and Bert Bates, "Java: A Beginner's Guide" by Herbert Schildt, and "Thinking in Java" by Bruce Eckel.

2. Are there any online resources I can use to learn Java?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning Java. Some popular options include Codeacademy, Udemy, and Coursera. You can also find numerous tutorials and coding challenges on websites like W3Schools and GeeksforGeeks.

3. What is the best way to approach learning a new programming language?

The best way to approach learning a new programming language is to start with the basics and build a strong foundation. This includes understanding the syntax, data types, and control structures. Then, practice by writing small programs and gradually move on to more complex projects. It is also helpful to read and understand code written by experienced programmers and to participate in online communities to ask questions and receive feedback.

4. How long does it take to learn a programming language?

The time it takes to learn a programming language can vary greatly depending on the individual's dedication and learning pace. However, with consistent practice and a solid understanding of the basics, one can become proficient in a programming language within a few months. It is important to continue practicing and learning as programming languages are constantly evolving.

5. Can I learn multiple programming languages at the same time?

While it is possible to learn multiple programming languages at the same time, it is generally not recommended for beginners. Learning one language thoroughly before moving on to another can help build a strong foundation and prevent confusion. Once you have a good understanding of one language, it may be easier to pick up new languages as they often share similar concepts and syntax.