How do you find the trend in some functions?

• Thread starter clemon!!
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, the conversation discusses finding trends in functions and how to find the function that follows a specific trend. The concept of weighting and calculating a function based on that weighting is also mentioned. The speaker suggests using mathematical techniques such as Fourier analysis and regression modeling to find trends, but emphasizes that understanding the subject matter and context is crucial before applying these techniques. They also mention that signal processing and integral transforms can be useful in finding trends in more complex functions like recordings of human speech.
clemon!!
how do you find the trend in some functions??

ok so I'm not sure how to phrase the question, and I'm not sure it will help me anyway but...

if i have say 3 complex functions, and i weight them... can i find the function that follows the trend?

sorry if that's very basic or silly.

basically, i want to weight silence, a traingle wave, a square wave, and a sine wave according to some percceptual quality. i then want to, based on that weighting, calculate the function that best instantiates that quality. of course it won't be perceived like that, but is there a term for the mathematical function of finding the trend of a number of functions according to some weighting?
thank you for any help ha :)

Physics news on Phys.org

i guess i would find the function of wieghting by function, then find its highest value.

how do you find that new function though?

Last edited:

clemon! said:
ok so I'm not sure how to phrase the question, and I'm not sure it will help me anyway but...

if i have say 3 complex functions, and i weight them... can i find the function that follows the trend?

sorry if that's very basic or silly.

basically, i want to weight silence, a traingle wave, a square wave, and a sine wave according to some percceptual quality. i then want to, based on that weighting, calculate the function that best instantiates that quality. of course it won't be perceived like that, but is there a term for the mathematical function of finding the trend of a number of functions according to some weighting?
thank you for any help ha :)

Hey clemon and welcome to the forums.

The first thing you should do is put your function in context.

Some primitives for decomposition and analysis will be preferred towards others because the context of the problem and data favors it.

The other thing to take note of is that usually the minimal representation is the best especially for explanatory purposes because it's going to be a lot easier to analyze, and captures the same characteristics that more complicated models would also show.

But again, if you miss context, you are missing 99%+ of everything.

The context is not easy, but it does have a tendency to become clearer with more effort, time, thought, and discussion with others that are also keen to find the same sorts of things.

In terms of if you wanted to 'fit' a model to a combination of models with weights, the way to do this formally is to first decompose the model into orthogonal parts and then project the data on to each orthogonal part thereby creating the model which you can then back-solve for the coeffecients.

This is done all the time in Fourier analysis and in regression modelling, and I recommend for general functions the integral transform approach.

i'm sorry but you have completely lost me :)

at this point in time precision doesn't matter that much. i have a test copy of originpro... but i don't know how to do this weighting thing.

sorry for being a berk !

hmm. maybe i do see what you mean - very very vaguely. this'll take a lot of thinking >_< !

clemon! said:
hmm. maybe i do see what you mean - very very vaguely. this'll take a lot of thinking >_< !

Finding trends is not a science: it's an art and a science.

If finding trends and making predictions were easy, everyone would be using computers to pick lottery numbers, company stocks, and all kinds of pointless crap.

Even with this in mind, people are able to make predictions all the time without any kind of mathematical analysis and that should tell you something about being able to see trends before they happen.

The easiest thing to start making trends is to get a high level feel for the subject: looking at graphs and charts will make you focus on something a lot more narrow that would make you otherwise miss everything else that is happening.

Once you are able to do this, then the analysis and the mathematics can supplement you once you understand what the techniques actually do and how they do it, but before that you need to understand what it is you are trying to analyze in non-mathematical terms because if you don't, the symbols will just confuse the crap out of you.

oh right - so there's no computer package that will work out trends like this - even for very simple functions like sine waves?
is there any way to work out what function represents a more complex wave like a recording of human speech?
for some reason i thought there might be because of fft?

clemon! said:
oh right - so there's no computer package that will work out trends like this - even for very simple functions like sine waves?

is there any way to work out what function represents a more complex wave like a recording of human speech? for some reason i thought there might be because of fft?

You should take a look at signal processing which is a common necessity in telecommunications and related engineering courses.

A more mathematical treatment can be found in integral transforms and things like wavelets, but I would suggest an engineering text first because the stuff is going to be completely applied and put in that context.

1. How do you determine the trend in a function using a graph?

To find the trend in a function using a graph, you can look at the overall shape of the graph. If the graph is increasing from left to right, the trend is positive or upward. If the graph is decreasing from left to right, the trend is negative or downward. Additionally, you can calculate the slope of the function at different points to see if it is increasing or decreasing.

2. Can you explain the concept of a trend line in a function?

A trend line in a function is a straight line that best represents the overall trend of the data points on a graph. It is usually drawn by finding the best fit line that minimizes the distance between the line and all the data points. This line can help to identify the general direction of the trend in the function.

3. Is there a specific formula for finding the trend in a function?

There is no specific formula for finding the trend in a function, as it varies depending on the type of function. However, there are certain methods and techniques, such as calculating the slope, that can help determine the trend in a function.

4. How do you use regression analysis to find the trend in some functions?

Regression analysis is a statistical method used to find the relationship between two or more variables. In the context of finding the trend in a function, regression analysis can be used to calculate the best-fit line that represents the overall trend of the data points on a graph.

5. Can the trend in a function change over time?

Yes, the trend in a function can change over time. This can happen due to various factors such as changes in the underlying variables, shifts in the data, or external influences. Therefore, it is important to regularly analyze and monitor the trend in a function to understand any changes that may occur.