Can Wind and Water Sounds Be Distinguished in Nature?

• Thread starter anorlunda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water Wind
In summary, the speaker went on a tenting trip and noticed that they could not distinguish the sounds of wind from those of running water. They then provided examples of different wind and water noises, including moderate winds in various environments, a mountain stream with white water rapids, a nearby waterfall, and a river. They also mentioned that their ears cannot hear above 3K hertz and that the sounds of wind and waves at sea are often confused. The speaker also referenced a previous forum thread about wind noise and questioned whether the spectra of these noises are truly similar and if there are similarities in their production and transmission mechanisms. They then asked for additional thoughts on the matter.
anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
I just returned from a tenting trip. In a tent, one hears the sounds of night more plainly. I was struck by the fact that, try as I might, I can not distinguish the sounds of wind from those of running water. Specifically,

1. Moderate winds (15-30 kt) in the forest.
  2. Moderate winds (15-30 kt) on a bare surface in the desert.
  3. Moderate winds (15-30 kt) in a rock canyon.
  4. A mountain stream with white water rapids. Water speed ~25 kt.
  5. A nearby waterfall.
  6. A river, much larger and deeper than the mountain stream but swift (~8 kt).

I should confess that my ears hear nothing above 3K hertz. Nevertheless, none of those noises sound to me similar to electronically generated white noise.

I am also a sailor, so I can report that at sea, the sounds of wind are always confused with the sounds of waves, so that I can't ask the same questions in that case.

I found a previous thread about wind noise on this forum. The answers provided had to do with vorticies. But I expect the mechanisms of noise production and transmission to be very different for wind and running water. I suspect that at least some of the water sounds are transmitted through the ground.

Are my perceptions correct; are the spectra of these diverse noise sources really so similar?

If yes, is it just coincidence or are there similarities in the noise production and transmission mechanisms?

Physics news on Phys.org
@anorlunda do you have any more thoughts on this?

1. What causes the different sounds of wind and water?

The sounds of wind and water are caused by a variety of factors, including the speed and direction of the wind, the size and shape of the water body, and the presence of obstacles such as rocks or vegetation. The type of surface the wind or water is moving over can also affect the sound, as well as the temperature and atmospheric conditions.

2. Why do some bodies of water make louder sounds than others?

The loudness of the sound produced by wind or water depends on the strength of the wind or the force of the water movement. Larger bodies of water or bodies of water with higher wind speeds will typically produce louder sounds. Additionally, the type of material surrounding the body of water can also impact the loudness of the sound.

3. What are some common sounds of wind and water?

Some common sounds of wind and water include rustling leaves, whistling wind, crashing waves, babbling brooks, and splashing waterfalls. These sounds can vary in pitch and intensity depending on the conditions and surroundings.

4. How do scientists study the sounds of wind and water?

Scientists use a variety of methods to study the sounds of wind and water, including recording devices, computer simulations, and field observations. They also use specialized equipment such as anemometers to measure wind speed and hydrophones to measure water movement and sound levels.

5. Can the sounds of wind and water be used for practical purposes?

Yes, the sounds of wind and water can have practical uses such as predicting weather patterns, monitoring ocean currents, and providing relaxation and stress relief. In addition, the sounds can be used in music and sound therapy to create calming and soothing effects.