FO Differential equations and account balance

In summary: Finally, I get the general solution:y = (y0 - 200/r)erT + 200/rIn summary, the problem involves an initial amount of money being deposited into an account with a continuous interest rate, and annual withdrawals at a varying rate. By using a first order linear differential equation and multiplying it by an integrating factor, the general solution for the amount in the account after T years can be found. The value of y0 will determine if the account will eventually be depleted and when that will happen.
fogvajarash

Homework Statement

a. Assume that yo dollars are deposited into an account paying r percent compounded continuously. If withdrawals are at an annual rate of 200t dollars (assume these are continuous), find the amount in the account after T years.

b. Consider the special case if r = 10% and y0=$20000

c. When will the account be depleted if y0=$5000? Give your answer to the nearest month.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've realized that the rate at which the account balance varies is the following:

dy/dt = ry - 200 (where r is the r percent rate, 0.10; and y the amount of money present)

However, when i try to obtain the differential equation, I keep getting that the amount of money present is the following:

y(T) = 200/r + (y0-200/r)erT

This would, mean that the function would never decrease in the case of $20000 and as well for $5000 (meaning it will never be depleted). However, I'm pretty sure that I'm wrong on this one. Could anyone please help me with this? My procedure:

1/(ry-200) dy = 1 dt (integrate both parts)

ln(ry-200) 1/r = t + M1

ln(ry-200) = rt + M2

M3ert=ry-200

y = M4ert + 200/r

Then, if y(0) = y0:

y0 - 200/r = M4

We then plug this result into our equation:

y = 200/r + (y0 - 200/r)erT

This corresponds to the equation I've been getting. Is my procedure done right?

Physics news on Phys.org
fogvajarash said:

Homework Statement

a. Assume that yo dollars are deposited into an account paying r percent compounded continuously. If withdrawals are at an annual rate of 200t dollars (assume these are continuous), find the amount in the account after T years.

b. Consider the special case if r = 10% and y0=$20000

c. When will the account be depleted if y0=$5000? Give your answer to the nearest month.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've realized that the rate at which the account balance varies is the following:

dy/dt = ry - 200 (where r is the r percent rate, 0.10; and y the amount of money present)

However, when i try to obtain the differential equation, I keep getting that the amount of money present is the following:

y(T) = 200/r + (y0-200/r)erT

This would, mean that the function would never decrease in the case of $20000 and as well for $5000 (meaning it will never be depleted). However, I'm pretty sure that I'm wrong on this one. Could anyone please help me with this? My procedure:

1/(ry-200) dy = 1 dt (integrate both parts)

ln(ry-200) 1/r = t + M1

ln(ry-200) = rt + M2

M3ert=ry-200

y = M4ert + 200/r

Then, if y(0) = y0:

y0 - 200/r = M4

We then plug this result into our equation:

y = 200/r + (y0 - 200/r)erT

This corresponds to the equation I've been getting. Is my procedure done right?

Your withdrawal rates are incorrect; you said that the annual withdrawal rate is 200t, so at t = 1 it is at rate 100, at t = 2 it is at rate 200, etc. In other words, the withdrawal rate varies with t, so your DE is not correct.

In the corrected problem the value of y0 determines whether or not the account will ever be depleted, and when that will happen.

Ray Vickson said:
Your withdrawal rates are incorrect; you said that the annual withdrawal rate is 200t, so at t = 1 it is at rate 100, at t = 2 it is at rate 200, etc. In other words, the withdrawal rate varies with t, so your DE is not correct.

In the corrected problem the value of y0 determines whether or not the account will ever be depleted, and when that will happen.
So this means i can't solve the problem until i have done first order linear DE?

fogvajarash said:
So this means i can't solve the problem until i have done first order linear DE?
Have you learned yet about using integrating factors for first order linear ODEs with constant coefficients?

Chet

u
fogvajarash said:

Presumably you know how to solve an equation of the form du/dt = ru - c for constant c. You can use a trick to reduce your problem to that form: in your equation dy/dt = ry - 200t you have ry - 200t on the right, and you can write this as r(y - (200/r)t) = ru, where u = y - (200/r)t. Now dy/dt = du/dt + 200/r, so the DE is du/dt + 200/r = ru, or du/dt = ru - 200/r = ru - c, and that is a form you already know how to solve.

Ray Vickson said:
u

Presumably you know how to solve an equation of the form du/dt = ru - c for constant c. You can use a trick to reduce your problem to that form: in your equation dy/dt = ry - 200t you have ry - 200t on the right, and you can write this as r(y - (200/r)t) = ru, where u = y - (200/r)t. Now dy/dt = du/dt + 200/r, so the DE is du/dt + 200/r = ru, or du/dt = ru - 200/r = ru - c, and that is a form you already know how to solve.
I finally solved the problem by using the fact that it's a first order linear differential equation and then multiply it by the integrating factor.

1. What are differential equations and how are they used in finance?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that involve derivatives and are used to model physical and natural phenomena. In finance, they are used to describe the relationship between different variables, such as interest rates and account balances, over time.

2. How do differential equations help in predicting future account balances?

Differential equations can be used to create mathematical models that can predict future account balances based on current data and known relationships between variables. By solving these equations, we can estimate how an account balance will change over time.

3. What are the different types of differential equations used in finance?

There are several types of differential equations used in finance, including ordinary differential equations (ODEs), partial differential equations (PDEs), and stochastic differential equations (SDEs). ODEs are used to model relationships between variables that change continuously, while PDEs are used for variables that change over both time and space. SDEs are used to model variables that are subject to random fluctuations.

4. How do account balances affect the rate of change in differential equations?

The rate of change in differential equations is directly affected by the values of the variables involved. In finance, account balances can affect the rate of change of other variables, such as interest rates or investment returns, which in turn can impact the overall account balance over time.

5. Can differential equations accurately predict changes in account balances?

While differential equations can provide valuable insights and predictions about changes in account balances, they are not always accurate as they are based on assumptions and simplifications of complex financial systems. The accuracy of predictions also depends on the quality of data and the model used. It is important to use differential equations in conjunction with other financial tools and analyses for a more comprehensive understanding of account balances.