Synchronization of a camera with a rotating shaft

In summary: It's not so much that each pixel might have different timing, but rather that microbolometers are in essence tiny thermometers and like thermometers, they don't respond instantly. So a spinning shaft will likely be seen as just a blur even if the camera is timed correctly.
ishaan
I wish to synchronize a thermal camera FLIR A300/600 with a test section on a rotating shaft such that whenever the section becomes orthogonal to the line of sight of the camera, an image is clicked by it automatically. The camera uses a TTL pulse input. Being a mechanical engineer, I have little idea as to the electrical components involved. However, I have thought of placing a proximity sensor on the mutually orthogonal axis in front of the section, such that whenever it detects an obstacle(the test section), a pulse is sent to the camera. I wish to confirm whether this will work before actually implementing it on the expensive camera. Also, if someone has used a similar setup can guide me as to what all settings are needed in camera software and whether the pulse output by proximity sensor(PNP) is in compliance with the camera.

Engineering news on Phys.org
ishaan said:
I wish to synchronize a thermal camera FLIR A300/600 with a test section on a rotating shaft such that whenever the section becomes orthogonal to the line of sight of the camera, an image is clicked by it automatically. The camera uses a TTL pulse input. Being a mechanical engineer, I have little idea as to the electrical components involved. However, I have thought of placing a proximity sensor on the mutually orthogonal axis in front of the section, such that whenever it detects an obstacle(the test section), a pulse is sent to the camera. I wish to confirm whether this will work before actually implementing it on the expensive camera. Also, if someone has used a similar setup can guide me as to what all settings are needed in camera software and whether the pulse output by proximity sensor(PNP) is in compliance with the camera.

Welcome to the PF.

You should be able to find a proximity sensor that outputs a TTL pulse. You can use some of those words in a Google search to see what pops up. I like to use Google Images for an initial search for things like sensors, since you can scan the results visually much faster than clicking into a bunch of links from the search.

Can you attach a picture or two (or link to them if you have them on a hosted website)? It would help to see what you are working with... :smile:

Here's a rough sketch of the circuit I am hoping to use

Attachments

• Slide18.jpg
    Slide18.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 354
I have not used proximity sensors in a long time. But since you did not mention it, you need to verify that the speed of rotation of the shaft will work for the sensor chosen. Most shaft encoders use optics with a disk on the shaft which has window openings, in your case only 1 would be necessary. Then you might have to advance your sensor location (whatever type is used) because of any delay in the image capture from the pulse. This could be dependent on the speed of the shaft depending on the speeds involved. Big difference between 300 rpm and 10,000 rpm in sensing and capture. So if you are looking at covering a wide range of rotational speeds, you might need something to adjust the timing.

ishaan said:
Here's a rough sketch of the circuit I am hoping to use

I don't see any need for the opamp. The output of the AND gate should be sufficient to drive the TTL input of the camera.

One thing that needs to be considered is the speed of the camera. The models cited use microbolometer arrays which are not all that fast to respond to temperature changes. A spinning shaft may be a bit too fast for them to capture in any detail.

You might want to consider hall effect sensors if you can attach a magnet to the shaft.

Ryoko said:
One thing that needs to be considered is the speed of the camera. The models cited use microbolometer arrays which are not all that fast to respond to temperature changes. A spinning shaft may be a bit too fast for them to capture in any detail.

I agree. All cameras require exposure time to capture photons. And each pixel on the sensor may have different timing.

Viggo said:
I agree. All cameras require exposure time to capture photons. And each pixel on the sensor may have different timing.

It's not so much that each pixel might have different timing, but rather that microbolometers are in essence tiny thermometers and like thermometers, they don't respond instantly. So a spinning shaft will likely be seen as just a blur even if the camera is timed correctly.

1. How does a camera synchronize with a rotating shaft?

The camera is typically equipped with a sensor that detects the rotational speed and position of the shaft. The sensor sends this information to the camera's control system, which adjusts the shutter speed and captures images at the appropriate intervals to synchronize with the shaft's rotation.

2. What is the purpose of synchronizing a camera with a rotating shaft?

Synchronizing a camera with a rotating shaft allows for high-speed photography and precise capturing of images at specific points in the rotation. This is useful in industries such as manufacturing, where monitoring and analyzing the movement of rotating machinery is crucial.

3. Can any type of camera be synchronized with a rotating shaft?

Yes, with the right equipment and setup, most cameras can be synchronized with a rotating shaft. However, high-speed cameras with fast shutter speeds and advanced control systems are typically used for this purpose to ensure accurate synchronization.

4. What are the benefits of synchronizing a camera with a rotating shaft?

In addition to high-speed photography and precise capturing of images, synchronization also allows for the creation of time-lapse videos and analysis of the rotational movement of the shaft. This can help identify any issues or irregularities in the rotation, leading to improved efficiency and maintenance of the machinery.

5. Are there any limitations to synchronizing a camera with a rotating shaft?

There may be limitations in terms of the speed and precision of synchronization, depending on the capabilities of the camera and its control system. Factors such as lighting and vibrations can also affect the quality of the captured images. It is important to ensure proper setup and calibration for optimal results.

Back