Are We Missing Hidden Dimensions in Our Universe?

In summary, there is the possibility of extra dimensions being of the order of millimeters, but if this were true, gravity would be the only force that could access them. However, this is not the case in our universe, and we have not observed any evidence of large extra dimensions.
ChrisVer
Gold Member
I've heard that extra dimensions can be (due to gravitational experiments) of dimensions ~some millimeters...
I'm quiet skeptical about this issue... Why would someone choose gravity (such a weak force for those experiments) to determine the scale? why not use Electromagnetism , that has allowed us to see up to ~some Armstrong scale (seen the atoms)? with the last, we know that we haven't seen any extra dimensions up to that scale...
Moreover on that, if the extra dimensions were really of order of some millimeters, then a dust of dirt could be completely erased from our world - being able to travel within those dimensions. It doesn't sound nice...

I am sorry if this belongs to Beyond SM, but it's not about "research".

Physics news on Phys.org
ChrisVer said:
I've heard that extra dimensions can be (due to gravitational experiments) of dimensions ~some millimeters...
I'm quiet skeptical about this issue... Why would someone choose gravity (such a weak force for those experiments) to determine the scale? why not use Electromagnetism , that has allowed us to see up to ~some Armstrong scale (seen the atoms)? with the last, we know that we haven't seen any extra dimensions up to that scale...
Moreover on that, if the extra dimensions were really of order of some millimeters, then a dust of dirt could be completely erased from our world - being able to travel within those dimensions. It doesn't sound nice...

Well there are various models where different things happen, but if the extra dimensions are 'large' then one might constrain the Standard Model particles and forces to live only on some hypersurface of the higher-dimensional space, i.e. on a brane. Stuff will therefore not leave the brane and apparently "vanish" from our world. Usually, though, gravity is not constrained to live on the brane, and can propagate in the bulk spacetime, which is then an explanation for why it appears so weak compared to the other forces (it is "diluted" by more dimensions). I don't know exactly what experiments you refer to, but that might be one reason why gravity is the relevant probe of the new physics.

This let's the "real" scale of gravity, i.e. the real Planck scale, be much lower than we usually expect, and can be a way to solve the hierarchy problem. But as I said it depends on some model details.

Likes 1 person
ChrisVer said:

In this kind of model where the extra dimensions are large (mm instead of Planck scale), only gravity can see the extra dimensions. There are other kinds of models where all particles see the extra dimensions but then the dimensions won't be large. They will be in the Planck scale.

Likes 1 person
ChrisVer said:
why not use Electromagnetism , that has allowed us to see up to ~some Armstrong scale (seen the atoms)? with the last, we know that we haven't seen any extra dimensions up to that scale...
Right. That's why we know if there are large extra dimensions, the electromagnetic force does not extend into them, and we need gravity to search for them.

There is nothing wrong with a model of large extra dimensions that includes the electromagnetic interaction in them, but we already know we do not live in such a universe.

Likes 1 person

1. What are extra dimensions?

Extra dimensions are hypothetical spatial dimensions that are beyond the three dimensions of length, width, and height that we experience in our everyday lives. They are theorized to exist in addition to the three dimensions that we are familiar with, which are collectively referred to as "3D space".

2. How many extra dimensions are there?

The most commonly accepted theories suggest that there may be anywhere from 11 to 26 dimensions, depending on the specific model being studied. However, some theories propose even more dimensions, up to an infinite number.

3. How do scientists study extra dimensions?

Scientists study extra dimensions through various theoretical models, such as string theory and M-theory. These models involve complex mathematical equations and simulations to explore the behavior and properties of extra dimensions.

4. Are extra dimensions actually real?

As of now, there is no definitive evidence for the existence of extra dimensions. They are still a topic of active research and debate among scientists. However, some aspects of these dimensions are predicted by certain theories, such as the potential for extra dimensions to explain the force of gravity.

5. What practical applications could extra dimensions have?

While there are currently no known practical applications for extra dimensions, their existence could potentially lead to groundbreaking discoveries in the fields of physics, cosmology, and technology. For example, they could help us better understand the nature of the universe and potentially lead to advancements in quantum computing.