Register to reply

Curious about a switch

by Salvador
Tags: curious, switch
Share this thread:
Salvador
Jul10-14, 08:06 AM
P: 40
Yes Simon , correct , the black box thing and what it should do is exactly what I thought.
Problem isn't the black box , it's how to achieve this mechanism to work in the fashion I imagine.
keeping in mind the high voltage requirment and other parameters like robustness.

In older tesla coils they used a spark gap which too acted as a crude switch causing induction but the problem with a spark gap is that it wears out and is unstable, no wonder they tend not to use those anymore.
Simon Bridge
Jul10-14, 09:34 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 12,463
Yes Simon , correct , the black box thing and what it should do is exactly what I thought.
Problem isn't the black box , it's how to achieve this mechanism to work in the fashion I imagine.
keeping in mind the high voltage requirment and other parameters like robustness.
But I've already answered that question!
Make the oscillations using a 555 timer circuit, or whatever your favorite oscillator is, and do the high-voltage switching with an optocoupler.

Alternately, construct the oscilator out of high voltage semiconductors... come on, you know enough to draw your own circuits.

This is not a difficult conclusion once the parameters have been worked out.

Note: you have yet to provide a value of robustness so I cannot comment on that.

Seriously: anyone would think you wanted the answer to be "no" it can't be done!?
CWatters
Jul10-14, 01:48 PM
P: 3,107
Some Triacs and Thyristors in capsule packages (aka "Ice hockey puck") are pretty robust. Thousands of amps/volts.
NascentOxygen
Jul10-14, 05:54 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 5,161
Quote Quote by Salvador View Post
how to achieve this mechanism to work in the fashion I imagine.

In older tesla coils they used a spark gap which too acted as a crude switch causing induction but the problem with a spark gap is that it wears out and is unstable, no wonder they tend not to use those anymore.
If you can get your hands on a Nixie it may be possible to devise an oscillation between two digits, a Nixie is a glorified neon bulb---but with multiple electrodes. It won't wear out.

Even a repurposed* Nixie will outlive you.

Register to reply