Fermi Surface Topology - U. of Florida

In summary, the conversation discusses a website that has compiled the topology of fermi surfaces for various materials. The website is hosted by the University of Florida but was created by researchers at Ohio State University. The website is visually appealing and potentially useful for those studying this area of physics.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
This site has compiled the topology of fermi surfaces for a lot of material.

http://www.phys.ufl.edu/fermisurface/

The Science website and the contact e-mail at the end indicate that the people who are responsible for this are at Ohio State (Gokul, do you know any of them?), but it is obvious from the site url that it is at U. of Florida. Rather confusing.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nice compilation!

Alex Choy, who got his PhD from U. Fl, is a recently joined Postdoc under John Wilkins, here. Wilkins, who is on my Grad Committee, is (or was) Chair of APS DCMP. I think all the work on that site was done in Gainesville.

Ah, that explaiins it then. That's why the site is still at ufl. I hope he gets to update that ufl site even when he's no longer there. This database can be such a useful tool for many people in this area of physics.

Zz.

It seems not too bad. Very beautiful pictures. :-)

they look like they were made with opendx (Data Explorer)?

very nice..i wish i could print the full color poster :)

You are from the Mars! thanks

1. What is Fermi Surface Topology?

Fermi surface topology is a concept in solid state physics that describes the shape and size of the Fermi surface, which is the boundary between occupied and unoccupied electron energy states in a solid material. It is an important factor in determining the electronic and magnetic properties of materials.

2. How is Fermi Surface Topology studied?

There are several experimental techniques used to study Fermi surface topology, including angle-resolved photoemission spectroscopy, de Haas-van Alphen effect, and specific heat measurements. Theoretical methods, such as density functional theory, are also used to calculate and predict Fermi surface topology.

3. What factors affect Fermi Surface Topology?

The Fermi surface topology of a material is influenced by several factors, including the crystal structure, electron density, temperature, and magnetic field. Changes in these parameters can lead to changes in the shape and size of the Fermi surface.

4. What is the significance of studying Fermi Surface Topology?

Studying Fermi surface topology provides valuable insights into the electronic and magnetic properties of materials. It can help in understanding the behavior of electrons in a solid, and in predicting and designing new materials with desired properties.

5. How does Fermi Surface Topology relate to superconductivity?

Fermi surface topology plays a crucial role in determining the properties of superconducting materials. In some cases, changes in Fermi surface topology can lead to the emergence of superconductivity, while in others, it can affect the critical temperature and other characteristics of superconductivity.