Creating a 30 Sec Timing Circuit with a 555

• Thread starter xtremeblue
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary: I'm trying to make a timing circuit that will count 30 seconds and give a high output. I was going to use a monostable 555 with 90k and 10uf as my values. Using the formula I am getting a time of 1 sec. I use the program "circuitmaker" to make the circuit (as shown in the pic) but the output it shows this making is not a nice square wave that I can use to make a d-flip flop count. If anyone has made a counting circuit that is simaliar can you please send me a pic or advice on how to revise my circuit so that it will work.Also would a ripple counter be better for the counting?In summary, the 555
xtremeblue
I need to make a timing circuit that will count 30 seconds and give a high output. I was going to use a monostable 555 with 90k and 10uf as my values. Using the formula I am getting a time of 1 sec. I use the program "circuitmaker" to make the circuit (as shown in the pic) but the output it shows this making is not a nice square wave that I can use to make a d-flip flop count. If anyone has made a counting circuit that is simaliar can you please send me a pic or advice on how to revise my circuit so that it will work. Also would a ripple counter be better for the counting? Thanks

Attachments

• 555timerPhysics.jpg
    555timerPhysics.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 476
Engineering news on Phys.org
Just about any pulse that swings below Vin low and and above Vin high for the logic family will triger a d-flip flop.

As Daivid notes the accuracy of a 555 at 1sec intervals is low.

Ripple counters are generally better (cheaper) for counting.

Usually, if you want accurate timing then you start with a crystal oscillator and divide down.

Do you guys have any sugestions on a crystal oscillator that I can use. I have never used one.

Exactly what are you trying to do? How accurate does it need to be? I have used cmos 555 timers and tantalum capacitors timing way out to almost 10 minutes. They've been in use over 10 years. The accuracy doesn't need to be down to the microsecond, but within 10 to 20 seconds over a wide temperature range. One thing you want to watch is discharging a large capacitor into the 555 with the discharge pin (7). Use a series resistor to limit the current into that pin. Does this project always have access to 120 VAC power? No need for a clock when you have the 60 hertz timebase already.

I'd suggest that you just use a 74CH4060 chip. It's a combination oscillator plus 14-bit counter, so it's very handy for generating time bases. You should be able to google 74HC4060 application notes to get more info.

1. How does a 555 timer work?

The 555 timer is a popular integrated circuit used to create precise timing signals in electronic circuits. It consists of three main components - a voltage divider network, a comparator, and a flip-flop. The voltage divider network sets the threshold and trigger voltages for the comparator, which then controls the output of the flip-flop. This allows for the generation of accurate and stable timing signals.

2. What are the key components needed to create a 30-second timing circuit using a 555 timer?

To create a 30-second timing circuit with a 555 timer, you will need the 555 timer IC, a resistor, a capacitor, and a power source. The values of the resistor and capacitor will determine the length of the timing interval, so they must be chosen carefully to achieve a 30-second interval.

3. How do I calculate the values of the resistor and capacitor for a 30-second timing circuit?

The timing interval of a 555 timer circuit is determined by the formula T = 1.1 * R * C, where T is the timing interval in seconds, R is the resistance in ohms, and C is the capacitance in farads. To achieve a 30-second interval, you can rearrange this formula to solve for either the resistor or capacitor value, depending on which component you have chosen.

4. What are some common uses for a 555 timer circuit?

The 555 timer circuit has a wide range of applications, including as a pulse generator, oscillator, and timer. It is commonly used in electronic devices such as alarm systems, LED flashers, and motor speed controllers. It is also popular in DIY projects for creating various timing functions.

5. Are there any limitations to using a 555 timer for a 30-second timing circuit?

While a 555 timer is a versatile and commonly used component for timing circuits, it does have some limitations. Some of these include a maximum timing interval of approximately 10 minutes and a maximum output current of 200mA. If you require longer timing intervals or higher output currents, you may need to consider alternative timing circuit options.