Gravity inside a solid sphere.

In summary, there is no gravitational force on a mass inside a solid sphere because it is completely surrounded by mass and therefore the forces from all sides cancel each other out. However, there is a gravitational force inside a hollow sphere as there is no mass surrounding the point. The force inside a solid sphere grows linearly as you move towards the surface, but outside the sphere it follows an inverse square law. This can be better understood by looking into the concept of a gravitational potential well.
Fallen Seraph
I'm trying to understand why there is no gravitational force on a mass inside a solid sphere. It's clear why the only force could be toward the centre of gravity, but my problem is this:

Consider a point of mass halfway between the centre of the sphere and the outside (as in the diagram). It seems to me that the force due to the two lengths of mass of length r/2 will cancel each other out, leaving a net force due to the other radius.. any explanation?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 2solidgravity.GIF
    2solidgravity.GIF
    6.8 KB · Views: 1,442
Physics news on Phys.org
Fallen Seraph said:
I'm trying to understand why there is no gravitational force on a mass inside a solid sphere.
Looks like a misunderstanding here. There's no gravitational force inside a hollow sphere. That is, a sphere which is just an empty shell, and no mass inside.

For a solid sphere, i.e. a solid ball, there is in fact an overall gravitational force on the inside. If memory serves correctly, the overall force pulls towards the center and is directly proportional to the distance from the center. In other words the force grows linearly as you move towards the surface.

but can't you consider the solid sphere to just be a collection of hollow spheres? So if there's no force on the hollow ones, there should be no force on a solid one?

Fallen Seraph said:
but can't you consider the solid sphere to just be a collection of hollow spheres? So if there's no force on the hollow ones, there should be no force on a solid one?

There is NO force INSIDE a hollow sphere but it will exert once you are outside.

Okay, let's say that you're between two "hollow spheres" withing the original sphere. There's no effect due to the one enclosing you and the spheres within, but the ones that are inside will have an effect, right? This is a very crude example, but I hope you get the point. And as ObsessiveMathsFreak noted, the force is linear.

I'm trying to understand why there is no gravitational force on a mass inside a solid sphere.

How can there be a mass inside a sphere that is completely solid? That sounds kind of confusing to me. In any case, there is a discussion about the hollow sphere from a few days back floating around somewhere. And here is an extra resource:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=121120

Ah. There we go. Thanks a lot for that help.

ObsessiveMathsFreak said:
Looks like a misunderstanding here. There's no gravitational force inside a hollow sphere. That is, a sphere which is just an empty shell, and no mass inside.

For a solid sphere, i.e. a solid ball, there is in fact an overall gravitational force on the inside. If memory serves correctly, the overall force pulls towards the center and is directly proportional to the distance from the center. In other words the force grows linearly as you move towards the surface.

F if proportional to 1/d^2

Last edited:
neutrino said:
There is NO force INSIDE a hollow sphere but it will exert once you are outside.

Okay, let's say that you're between two "hollow spheres" withing the original sphere. There's no effect due to the one enclosing you and the spheres within, but the ones that are inside will have an effect, right? This is a very crude example, but I hope you get the point. And as ObsessiveMathsFreak noted, the force is linear.

look up gravitational potential well and it should become clear.

misnoma said:
F if proportional to 1/d^2
Not inside the earth, or a solid sphere. Inside the Earth [itex]F\propto r[/itex] as ObsessiveMathsFreak says.

P.S. It's nice to see another Brit posting on the Forums :approve:

Last edited:
Hootenanny said:
Not inside the earth, or a solid sphere. Inside the Earth [itex]F\propto r[/itex] as ObsessiveMathsFreak says.

Yes- inside - but not outside. was there some mis understanding here?

misnoma said:
Yes- inside - but not outside. was there some mis understanding here?

Thanks fellow brit

Hootenanny said:

"In other words the force grows linearly as you move towards the surface."

I picked up on this and made the assumption that it was moving towards the surface from the outside. (incorrect assumption). which is why I mentioned 1/d^2

misnoma said:
"In other words the force grows linearly as you move towards the surface."

I picked up on this and made the assumption that it was moving towards the surface from the outside. (incorrect assumption). which is why I mentioned 1/d^2
No problem, easily done. Have a good new year.

1. How does gravity work inside a solid sphere?

Gravity inside a solid sphere works in the same way as it does outside of the sphere. The force of gravity is determined by the mass of the sphere and the distance between the center of the sphere and the object experiencing the gravitational pull.

2. Does gravity inside a solid sphere change depending on the depth?

No, the force of gravity inside a solid sphere does not change depending on the depth. This is because the mass of the sphere is evenly distributed throughout, creating a uniform gravitational pull at all points inside the sphere.

3. How does the density of a solid sphere affect gravity inside?

The density of a solid sphere does not affect the force of gravity inside. However, a more dense sphere will have a greater mass, resulting in a stronger gravitational pull.

4. Is the acceleration due to gravity the same inside a solid sphere as it is on the surface?

No, the acceleration due to gravity inside a solid sphere is not the same as it is on the surface. This is because as you move closer towards the center of the sphere, the mass above you decreases, resulting in a weaker gravitational pull.

5. Can objects experience weightlessness inside a solid sphere?

Yes, objects can experience weightlessness inside a solid sphere if they are in freefall towards the center and the force of gravity is cancelled out by the centrifugal force. This is known as an orbiting motion.