Calculate K_C for N2, H2 System: 10.7M^2, 4.00M^2, 2.67M^2, 1.67M^2

In summary, the equation for calculating K<sub>C</sub> for the N<sub>2</sub>, H<sub>2</sub> system is K<sub>C</sub> = [NH<sub>3</sub>] / [N<sub>2</sub>][H<sub>2</sub>]<sup>3</sup>, and the concentrations of N<sub>2</sub>, H<sub>2</sub>, and NH<sub>3</sub> can be determined using molarities (M) and volumes (V) of the solutions. The units for K<sub>C</sub> are mol<sup>-1</sup>L<sup>3</
ultimateguy

Homework Statement

[tex]N_{2(g)}[/tex], 0.32M and [tex]H_{2(g)}[/tex], 0.66M are placed in a reaction vessel. The system reaches equilibrium when [tex][H_{2(g)}][/tex] = 0.30M. Calculate [tex]K_C[/tex]

a) 10.7[tex]M^2[/tex]
b) 4.00[tex]M^2[/tex]
c) 2.67[tex]M^2[/tex]
d) 1.67[tex]M^2[/tex]

Homework Equations

Equilibrium constant formula

The Attempt at a Solution

This is just messing me up because the chemical equation isn't given. If I don't know the products, how do I get the equilibrium constant?

Physics news on Phys.org
i s'pose this is the famous haber's process eqn.
N2+3H2---->2NH3

(and this is reversible)

Dear student,

It is not possible to calculate the equilibrium constant (Kc) without knowing the chemical equation for the reaction. The equilibrium constant is a ratio of the concentrations of the products to the concentrations of the reactants, and without knowing the products, we cannot determine this ratio.

Please provide the chemical equation for the reaction and I will be happy to assist you in calculating Kc.

1. What is the equation for calculating KC for the N2, H2 system?

The equation for calculating KC for the N2, H2 system is KC = [NH3] / [N2][H2]3, where [NH3] represents the concentration of ammonia, and [N2] and [H2] represent the concentrations of nitrogen and hydrogen, respectively.

2. How do I determine the concentrations of N2, H2, and NH3 for the calculation of KC?

The concentrations of N2, H2, and NH3 can be determined using the given molarities (M) and volumes (V) of the solutions. The concentration (C) is calculated as C = M x V. Make sure to use the appropriate units for volume (L) and molarity (mol/L) for accurate results.

3. What are the units for KC when calculating for the N2, H2 system?

The units for KC when calculating for the N2, H2 system are mol-1L3. This is because the concentrations of N2 and H2 are raised to the third power in the equation.

4. Can the concentrations of N2, H2, and NH3 be in any units for the calculation of KC?

No, the concentrations of N2, H2, and NH3 must be in the same units (mol/L) for the calculation of KC. If they are not in the same units, they can be converted using the appropriate conversion factors.

5. How do I interpret the value of KC for the N2, H2 system?

The value of KC represents the equilibrium constant for the reaction between nitrogen and hydrogen to form ammonia. A larger value indicates that the equilibrium favors the products, while a smaller value indicates that the equilibrium favors the reactants. A value of KC equal to 1 indicates that the concentrations of products and reactants are equal at equilibrium.