How Does Tension Affect Work Done in a Helicopter Rescue Scenario?

In summary: In the scenario, the person is being lifted up from water, so the work done is the negative of the displacement. In this case, the displacement is -11m, so the work done is -11m*9.8N = -92.2N.
Paul_Bunyan

Homework Statement

OK, here's the scenario:

We have a helicopter lifting someone out of the water via a rope. The person has a mass of 79kg and he is being accelerated upwards at 0.7m/s^2.

I also need to calculate work being done by the tension in the cable and by the person's weight.

Homework Equations

So, I think the tension would be T=mg+ma, is that right?

The Attempt at a Solution

So the total tension would be the tension due to gravity (weight) plus the tension caused by the upward acceleration...?

As far as work is concerned...If the above is true, the tension in the cable would be 829.5N, and he is being lifted up a distance of 11m, parallel to the cable.

So my initial thought was that the work done by the tension in the cable would be W=829.5*11, is that right?

And then I don't think the person's weight is actually causing any movement, so there would be no work because of that, correct?

Ugh, tension confuses me sometimes...

Thanks in advance, though.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yep, that's right.

I don't know if you did so, but often a diagram just simplifies the whole problem so much, as you can actually see what you are doing!

The weight force does do work, W=Fdcos(thete). Because force is opposite of displacement (theta = 180), weight does negative work

To check your answers, remember that the new work should be the net force times displacement. The question asks for individual work, so individual forces must be used.The problem isn't very accurate however, because a person weighs less in water. Theres an extra boyant force upward you can't account for because there's not enough information. You weigh less in water, making it easier to pull a person up from water than through the air. The rope could even break once the persons full weight is on the rope

The best thing to do is draw a force body diagram (as said above by Archduke). It makes it a lot easier.

The forces you see in the X or Y need to all equal out to M*A. Since Fx or Fy = M*A, also the sum of forces must equal m*a.

So in the picture, you have the force of gravity pulling down and the force of tension pulling up.

What do you want to call down and what do you want to call up? Naturally, you call tension vector pointing up positive and gravity negative. However, you can do the opposite. You will still end up with the same answer.

Sum of all forces = T - mg = MA.

T - mg = MA.
T = ma + mg.

Work depends on displacement.

1. What is tension?

Tension is a force that occurs when an object is pulled or stretched in opposing directions, causing strain on the object.

2. How is tension measured?

Tension is measured in units of force, such as Newtons or pounds. It can also be measured indirectly by analyzing the displacement or deformation of an object under tension.

3. What factors affect tension?

The amount of force applied, the type of material, and the length and thickness of the object all play a role in tension. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and humidity can also impact tension.

4. What are the consequences of excess tension?

Excess tension can cause an object to break, deform, or fail. It can also lead to increased stress and strain on the object, potentially causing it to become less effective or functional.

5. How can tension be managed or controlled?

Tension can be managed by carefully selecting materials and designing objects with appropriate strength and flexibility. It can also be controlled through proper maintenance and monitoring to prevent excessive tension from causing damage.