Exploring Temperature Variations on a River Bank

In summary, the question asks whether there must be at least one pair of years with the exact same temperature, given that the temperature has remained constant for the past 2007 years and is observed to be periodic with a period of one year. The answer depends on the interpretation of "temperature" - if it refers to yearly averages, then the answer is yes, but if it refers to instantaneous temperature, then it is possible for there to be no pairs of years with the same temperature. The proof or disproof would involve using mathematical theorems such as Rolle's or Langrange's theorem, assuming that temperature is a continuous non-monotonous function. However, without additional information or assumptions, it is difficult to determine the answer definit
chaoseverlasting

Homework Statement

This is a question I had in a mathematics quiz I participated in today.

The river bank of a river on the west coast is under observation perfectly. Suppose the temperature variation for the last one hundred years is known absolutely. The temperature now is exactly as it was 2007 years ago. Must there be at least one pair of years, separated by one year, which have the exact same temperature?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I said yes as I thought the temperature change during a year would be a periodic function with period one (year). How could I prove or disprove it?

Physics news on Phys.org
The other interpretation is that "temperature" means "yearly average."

If you can't make that assumption, how would you prove/disprove it? I was thinking of something along the rolle's or langrange's theorem assuming that the temperature is a continuous non monotonous function.

Even if its not periodic, the fact the temperature was the same 2007 years ago satisfies one condition of the rolle's theorem, therefore atleast one point must exist where f'(t)=0 (there should be many many points like that because of the temperature fluctuations), but how do you prove that there must be a pair of years with the same temperature one year apart?

If temp. is a periodic function with constant yearly average, then it is kind of an absurd question. Either the question is missing information or it is relying on material that was covered in class that I am not privy to.

Otherwise, the answer may be either yes or no depending on the assumptions one makes.

1. What is the purpose of exploring temperature variations on a river bank?

The purpose of exploring temperature variations on a river bank is to understand the impact of environmental factors on the temperature of the river bank. This information can help us better understand the ecosystem and make informed decisions about conservation and management efforts.

2. How do you measure temperature variations on a river bank?

Temperature variations on a river bank can be measured using various tools such as thermometers, thermal cameras, and data loggers. These devices are placed at different points along the river bank to collect temperature data over a period of time.

3. What factors can affect temperature variations on a river bank?

There are several factors that can affect temperature variations on a river bank, including weather conditions, water flow, solar radiation, and human activities such as land use and pollution. These factors can impact the temperature of the water, soil, and air on the river bank.

4. What are the potential impacts of temperature variations on a river bank?

Temperature variations on a river bank can have various impacts on the ecosystem. For example, changes in temperature can affect the growth and reproduction of aquatic plants and animals, alter the water quality, and impact the food chain. It can also lead to changes in the behavior and migration of species.

5. How can we use the data from exploring temperature variations on a river bank?

The data collected from exploring temperature variations on a river bank can be used to monitor and track changes in the ecosystem over time. It can also help us identify potential threats and develop strategies for conservation and management. Additionally, this data can be used for research purposes and to inform policy decisions related to the river bank and its surrounding environment.