Linear Transformation - Linear Algebra

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of linear transformations in linear algebra. The discussion focuses on determining whether a given transformation is linear based on the principles of homogeneity and additivity. The conclusion is that the given transformation, T(x,y,z) = (1,1), is not linear as it does not satisfy both principles. This is demonstrated through the example of T(cx, cy, cz) = (1,1) not being equal to cT(x,y,z).
ohlhauc1
[SOLVED] Linear Transformation - Linear Algebra

Homework Statement

Determine if T is linear. T(x,y,z) = (1,1)

Homework Equations

Definition of Linear Transformation: A function T: R^n --> R^m is a linear transformation if for all u and v in R^n and all scalars c, the following principles are satisfied:

Homogeneity Principle: T(cu) = cT(u)
Additivity Principle: T(u+v) = T(u) + T(v)

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer that was given for this question is false, and I am trying to see why. Therefore, this is what I've done but I am missing something because I always get true if I am to assume that T(cx, cy, cz) = (c,c) but the answer is supposed to be (1,1).

My reason thus far has been to say that because there are no variables in the solution of the transformation (1,1), then a scalar cannot be multiplied to it, but that doesn't make sense because it should work for all vectors, regardless of whether they are numbers or letters. The answer my prof gave was this:

T(cx, cy, cz) = (1,1) which does not equal c(1,1) = cT(x,y,z). He didn't bother with the addivitivity since both principles need to be upheld for the transformation to be linear.

If you could clarify, I would really appreciate it!

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Write out T(cu)
2. Write out T(u)
3. Multiply "2" with c
4. Compare "3" with "1"

Constant transformations should send up red flags. Remember that linear transformations form a vector space. So they need to work with the kind of manipulations EnumaElish described.

I see it now! Thanks so much!

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a function that maps one vector space to another in a way that preserves the vector addition and scalar multiplication operations. In other words, the output of a linear transformation will always be a linear combination of the input vectors.

2. What is the difference between a linear transformation and a linear equation?

A linear transformation is a function that operates on vectors, while a linear equation is an equation that relates two variables in a linear fashion. A linear equation can be represented as a line on a graph, while a linear transformation can involve more complex geometric transformations.

3. How do you determine if a transformation is linear?

A transformation is linear if it satisfies two properties: preservation of addition and preservation of scalar multiplication. This means that the transformation must output the sum of two vectors as the sum of the individual outputs, and the transformation must output the scalar multiple of a vector as the scalar multiple of the output vector.

4. What is the role of matrices in linear transformations?

Matrices are used to represent linear transformations. Each column of a matrix represents the output of the transformation on a basis vector. Therefore, the entire matrix represents the transformation on the entire vector space.

5. What are some real-world applications of linear transformations?

Linear transformations have many applications in fields such as computer graphics, physics, economics, and engineering. They are used to model and analyze systems that exhibit linear behavior, such as the motion of objects, electrical circuits, and economic systems.