Find Centroid of U: First Octant Ellipsoid

• Thread starter Jimmy21
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Centroid
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the centroid of a solid region in the first octant bounded by an ellipsoid. The attempted solution involves finding the mass and moment, but the calculated centroid does not seem to be correct. The suggested method of using elliptic coordinates results in a centroid of (3/8, 9/16, 3/8), which is different from the original attempt. It is also noted that the concept of centroid is purely geometric and does not involve mass.
Jimmy21

Homework Statement

Let U be the solid region in the first octant bounded by the ellipsoid (x^2)/4 + (y^2)/9 + (z^2)/4 = 1. Find the centroid of U.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to do this problem but I'm not sure if my answer is right. First, I find the mass and I got 2pi. Then I find the moment, and divided it by mass, and I got the centroid to be like (1,9/8,1). But I'm not sure if I did it right or not. Can anyone help me?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That can't be right. Since the "y-length" is 3, and the other lengths 2, the y coordinate of the centroid must be 3/2 the other coordinates.

I did this by changing to "elliptic coordinates". More precisely, I let
[itex]x= 2\rho cos(\theta) sin(\phi)[/itex], [itex]y= 3\rho sin(\theta) sin(\phi)[/itex] and [itex]z= 2\rho cos(\phi)[/itex]- spherical coordinates 'altered' to fit the ellipse.
Calculating the Jacobian gives [itex]12\rho^2 sin(\phi)d\rho d\phi d\theta[/itex] as the differential. The ellipse in the first octant take [itex]\rho[/itex] from 0 to 1, [itex]\phi[/itex] from 0 to [itex]\pi/2[/itex] and [itex]\theta[/itex] from 0 to [itex]\pi/2[/itex].
I get (3/8, 9/16, 3/8) as the centroid.

(By the way, [itex]2\pi[/itex] is the volume of the ellipse, not the "mass". "Centroid" is a purely geometrical concept and geometric figures do not have "mass".)

1. What is the definition of centroid?

The centroid of a shape is the geometric center or average position of all the points in that shape.

2. How is the centroid of a first octant ellipsoid calculated?

The centroid of a first octant ellipsoid can be calculated by taking the average of the x, y, and z coordinates of all the points within the shape.

3. What is the significance of finding the centroid of a shape?

Finding the centroid of a shape is important in geometric analysis as it provides valuable information about the shape's properties, such as its balance, stability, and moments of inertia.

4. What is the formula for finding the centroid of a first octant ellipsoid?

The formula for finding the centroid of a first octant ellipsoid is:
x̄ = (1/4)*a
ȳ = (1/4)*b
z̄ = (1/4)*c
Where a, b, and c are the lengths of the semi-axes of the ellipsoid.

5. Can the centroid of a first octant ellipsoid be outside of the shape?

No, the centroid of a first octant ellipsoid will always be located within the shape as it is an average of all the points within the shape. However, it may not always be located at the center of the shape depending on the shape's size and distribution of mass.