Double integral problem help appreciated

In summary, the student attempted to solve an integration problem but was not able to do so due to the complicated nature of the problem. He attempted to change the order of integration but did not succeed. He then attempted to integrate the problem using two different boundary conditions but still was not successful. He eventually was able to solve the problem using two parts.
engineer_dave

Homework Statement

Evaluate the integral shown ( I have the file with the given integral attached here).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So what i did was change dy dx into dx dy. Then i integrated y so the whole thing becomes 2x - y^3. I plugged the values (1+x) and (1-x) into y^3. After here, I got a really complicated thing which probably means I am on the wrong track. The answer given was -13/6. Can you please help? Thanks!

Attachments

• Double integral.JPG
    Double integral.JPG
    5.2 KB · Views: 461
Physics news on Phys.org
engineer_dave said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate the integral shown ( I have the file with the given integral attached here).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So what i did was change dy dx into dx dy. Then i integrated y so the whole thing becomes 2x - y^3. I plugged the values (1+x) and (1-x) into y^3. After here, I got a really complicated thing which probably means I am on the wrong track. The answer given was -13/6. Can you please help? Thanks!
I'm not at all clear what you mean by "change dydx into dxdy". I thought at first you meant that you changed the order of integration so that you would be integrating with respect to x first but then you say "Then i integrated y" which I take to mean you integrated 2x- 3y2 with respect to y. The result of that is NOT, however, 2x- y3, it is 2xy- y3. Substitute y= 1+x and y= 1-x into THAT and subtract.

Last edited by a moderator:
yea i want to change the order of integration so it becomes dx dy. Then what do I have to do?

You had better have a really good reason for wanting to do that! It's much messier than integrating the way you have it.

The line y= 1+ x forms the upper boundary of the region and the line y= 1-x forms the lower boundary. The vertical line x= 1 is the right boundary. (y= 1+x and y= 1-x cross at (0,1) so the two lines form the "left boundary".) The region is a triangle with vertices at (0,1), (1,2) and (1, 0).

In order to cover that region y has to go from 0 up to 2. HOWEVER the left boundary involves two different lines and so two different formulas. For y between 0 and 1, the left boundary is given by the line y= 1- x or x= 1- y. x must go from 1-y to 1 for each y. For y between 1 and 2, the left boundary is given by the line y= 1+ x or x= y-1. x must go from y-1 to 1 for each y. That means you will have to do the integral in two different parts:
[tex]\int_{y= 0}^1\int_{x= 1-y}^1 (2x- 3y^2)dx dy+ \int_{y= 1}^2\int_{x= y-1}^1(2x-3y^2)dx dy[/itex]

What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of mathematical operation used to calculate the volume under a surface or the area between two surfaces in three-dimensional space. It is essentially an extension of a single integral, which calculates the area under a curve in two-dimensional space.

Why are double integrals important?

Double integrals have numerous applications in physics, engineering, and other fields where calculations involving volumes and areas are required. They are also important in understanding and solving differential equations, which are used to model many natural phenomena.

What are the steps for solving a double integral problem?

The first step is to determine the limits of integration for both the inner and outer integrals. Then, evaluate the inner integral first, treating the outer integral as a constant. Next, evaluate the outer integral using the result of the inner integral. Finally, simplify the expression to get the final answer.

How do I know when to use a double integral?

A double integral is typically used when dealing with a function of two variables, such as a surface or a region in three-dimensional space. It is also used when calculating the volume under a surface or the area between two surfaces. If the problem involves integrating over a region in two-dimensional space, a single integral can be used instead.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a double integral?

One common mistake is to mix up the order of integration, which can lead to incorrect results. Another mistake is to forget to include the correct limits of integration, which can also result in an incorrect answer. It is important to carefully set up and evaluate each integral in the correct order to avoid these errors.