Solving Part B of a Math Problem: Can You Help?

• Thread starter Mattofix
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses part b) of a homework problem involving proving the four axioms of a matrix group and determining the center of the group. The conversation provides a direction for approaching the problem and confirms that the center is the multiples of the identity. A quick response is requested as the assignment is due soon.
Mattofix

Homework Statement

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/3148/scan0001ba3.th.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have done part a, proving the four axioms. I just don't understand part b) if someone could point me in the right direction...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose g=[a b,0 d] (I hope the informal matrix notation is clear) is in the center. That means for ANY g'=[a' b',0 d'] in the group, that g*g'=g'*g. Write that out in components. You should find a*b'+b*d'=a'*b+b'*d. Now since the primed components are arbitrary, what does this imply for g if you pick say, a'=1, b'=0 and d'=0. Or if you pick a'=0, b'=1 and d'=0?

a = d , b = 0 ?

...so Z(G) = ( a 0 ,0 a ) ?

Does that say "Z(G)= {g | gh= hg for all h}"? The lower bar of the "=" is very pale and it looks like "gh- hg" which makes no sense!

yes it does - strange though, shows up fine on my screen

a quick reply would be much appreciated as i have to hand this in pretty soon

Mattofix said:
a quick reply would be much appreciated as i have to hand this in pretty soon

Yes, the center is the multiples of the identity.

Last edited:
thanks

1. How do I approach solving Part B of a math problem?

There are a few steps you can follow to successfully solve Part B of a math problem. First, make sure you understand the given information and what the problem is asking you to find. Then, look for any clues or patterns in the problem that can help you solve it. Next, use the appropriate formulas or equations to calculate the answer. Finally, check your work and make sure your answer makes sense in the context of the problem.

2. What should I do if I get stuck on Part B of a math problem?

If you get stuck on Part B of a math problem, try breaking it down into smaller, more manageable steps. You can also try looking for similar problems or examples in your textbook or online to see how they were solved. Don't be afraid to ask your teacher or a classmate for help as well.

3. How can I check if my answer is correct for Part B of a math problem?

To check if your answer is correct for Part B of a math problem, you can plug your answer back into the original problem and see if it works. You can also use a calculator or online tool to verify your calculations. If possible, it's always a good idea to have someone else check your work as well.

4. Is there a specific order in which I should solve Part B of a math problem?

There is no set order in which you must solve Part B of a math problem. However, it is generally helpful to solve the parts of the problem that are the most straightforward or that you feel most confident with first. This can give you a sense of progress and motivation to continue with the more challenging parts.

5. Can you provide any tips for solving Part B of a math problem quickly?

One tip for solving Part B of a math problem quickly is to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with common formulas and techniques. It can also be helpful to read the problem carefully and identify any key information or patterns that can help you solve it more efficiently. Additionally, try to avoid getting stuck on one part of the problem for too long and come back to it later if needed.