Changing cartesian integral to polar integral

In summary, to change the Cartesian integral to a polar integral, the integrand should be [r^2 * cos(theta) dr d(theta)]. The limits of integration for theta should be 0 <= theta <= pi/4, and for r they should be 0 <= r <= 6/sin(theta). However, when substituting for x = 0, theta should be pi/2 instead of 0. Careful visualization of the region of integration can help avoid mistakes.
DWill
Change the Cartesian integral to the equivalent polar integral and evaluate:

Integral of (x dx dy), limits of integration are from 0 <= y <= 6, 0 <= x <= y.

---------------

I don't need help as much in evaluating the integral as just setting it up right. To change this to a polar integral do I change the integrand to [r^2 * cos(theta) dr d(theta)]? I'm not sure how exactly to change the limits of integration.

For the x limits, I see that the top limit is x = y, and if I substitute I get r cos(theta) = r sin(theta), which simplifies to theta = pi/4. So I thought this integral should have limits of 0 <= theta <= pi/4.

For y I'm more not sure, I tried the same approach as above. Since the top limit is y = 6, I thought of substituting to get r sin(theta) = 6, and simplifying to r = 6/sin(theta). So I thought the limits on r would be 0 <= r <= 6/sin(theta)

Well I solved the integral with what I tried figuring out above and got -18, while the correct answer is 36. Which parts did I do wrong? thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok you have one theta limit, but what about the other one?

When you have x = 0, and y = anything, you have theta = pi/2, not theta = 0.

It might help if you carefully draw out your region of integration.

What is the process for changing a cartesian integral to a polar integral?

The process involves converting the cartesian coordinates (x, y) into polar coordinates (r, θ) and then changing the limits of integration and the integrand accordingly.

Why would someone want to change a cartesian integral to a polar integral?

Converting to polar coordinates can often simplify the integrand and make the integral easier to evaluate. It is also useful for solving problems involving circular or symmetric shapes.

What are the limits of integration for a polar integral?

The limits of integration for a polar integral are typically the starting and ending angles (θ) and the inner and outer radii (r) of the region being integrated over.

How do you change the integrand when converting from cartesian to polar coordinates?

The integrand is changed by substituting the cartesian expressions (x and y) with their corresponding polar expressions (r cos θ and r sin θ).

Are there any special considerations when changing a cartesian integral to a polar integral?

Yes, when converting, it is important to also include the Jacobian factor (r) in the integrand to account for the change in variables. Also, the region of integration may need to be adjusted depending on the shape of the region in polar coordinates.