Transform a vector from Cartesian to Cylindrical coordinates

In summary, the given vector Q can be transformed from Cartesian to Cylindrical coordinates using the equations Aρ=Ax cos(φ)+Ay sin(φ) and Aφ=0, with the unit vector for φ pointing counterclockwise and φ taken counterclockwise from the positive x-axis.
VinnyCee

Homework Statement

Transform the vector below from Cartesian to Cylindrical coordinates:

[tex]Q\,=\,\frac{\sqrt{x^2\,+\,y^2}}{\sqrt{x^2\,+\,y^2\,+\,z^2}}\,\hat{x}\,-\,\frac{y\,z}{x^2\,+\,y^2\,+\,z^2}\,\hat{z}[/tex]

Homework Equations

Use these equations:

[tex]A_{\rho}\,=\,\hat{\rho}\,\cdot\,\overrightarrow{A}\,=\,A_x\,cos\,\phi\,+\,A_y\,sin\,\phi[/tex]

[tex]A_{\phi}\,=\,\hat{\phi}\,\cdot\,\overrightarrow{A}\,=\,-A_x\,sin\,\phi\,+\,A_y\,cos\,\phi[/tex]

[tex]A_z\,=\,A_z[/tex]

[tex]x\,=\,\rho\,cos\,\phi[/tex]

[tex]y\,=\,\rho\,sin\,\phi[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]Q_{\rho}\,=\,\frac{\sqrt{\left(\rho\,cos\,\phi\right)^2\,+\,\left(\rho\,\sin\,\phi\right)^2}}{\sqrt{\left(\rho\,cos\,\phi\right)^2\,+\,\left(\rho\,\sin\,\phi\right)^2\,+\,z^2}}\,cos\,\phi[/tex]

[tex]Q_{\rho}\,=\,\frac{\rho}{\sqrt{\rho^2\,+\,z^2}}\,cos\,\phi[/tex]

[tex]Q_{\phi}\,=\,-\,\frac{\rho}{\sqrt{\rho^2\,+\,z^2}}\,sin\,\phi[/tex]

[tex]Q_z\,=\,-\,\frac{z\,\rho\,sin\,\phi}{\rho^2\,+\,z^2}[/tex]

Does the above look correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi VinnyCee! :smile:
VinnyCee said:
[tex]A_{\rho}\,=\,\hat{\rho}\,\cdot\,\overrightarrow{A}\,=\,A_x\,cos\,\phi\,+\,A_y\,sin\,\phi[/tex]

[tex]A_{\phi}\,=\,\hat{\phi}\,\cdot\,\overrightarrow{A}\,=\,-A_x\,sin\,\phi\,+\,A_y\,cos\,\phi[/tex]

No … these are the equations for an ordinary rotation of the x and y axes through an angle phi.
[tex]Q_{\rho}\,=\,\frac{\rho}{\sqrt{\rho^2\,+\,z^2}}\,cos\,\phi[/tex]

[tex]Q_{\phi}\,=\,-\,\frac{\rho}{\sqrt{\rho^2\,+\,z^2}}\,sin\,\phi[/tex]

hmm … you want polar coordinates of a vector along the x-axis … so what will its phi coordinate be? :smile:

Really? The equations for transforming from Cartesian to Cylindrical were given in the notes for the class in a matrix form and then solved out to a formula, the one below.

Here is a more detailed version for the [itex]\rho[/itex] coordinate transformation only:

[tex]A_{\rho}\,=\,\hat{\rho}\,\cdot\,\overrightarrow{A} \,=\,\left(\hat{\rho}\,\cdot\,\hat{x}\right)\,A_x\,+\,\left(\hat{\rho}\,\cdot\,\hat{y}\right)\,A_y\,+\,\left(\hat{\rho}\,\cdot\,\hat{z}\right)\,A_z\,=\,A_x\,cos\,\phi\,+\,A_y\,sin\,\phi[/tex]

Is that incorrect? If so, what is the correct way to transform from Cartesian to Cylindrical?I think the [itex]\phi[/itex] coordinate would be zero in this case since there is no y-component, right?

VinnyCee said:

[tex]x\,=\,\rho\,cos\,\phi[/tex]

[tex]y\,=\,\rho\,sin\,\phi[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]Q_{\rho}\,=\,\frac{\sqrt{\left(\rho\,cos\,\phi\right)^2\,+\,\left(\rho\,\sin\,\phi\right)^2}}{\sqrt{\left(\rho\,cos\,\phi\right)^2\,+\,\left(\rho\,\sin\,\phi\right)^2\,+\,z^2}}\,cos\,\phi[/tex]

Here you've included the Ax cos(phi) term, but forgot the Ay sin(phi) term

[itex]A_y[/itex] is zero, so it need not be included, right?

Oops, I was confusing Ay and Az. My bad.

Your results from post #1 look okay to me. My understanding is the dot product of the vector Q with the coordinate unit-vector is the component of Q in that coordinate direction, which is exactly what you did.

On the other hand I'm hesitant to disagree with tiny-tim, since he knows this stuff pretty well also.

VinnyCee said:
[itex]A_y[/itex] is zero

That's right! for x > 0 and y = 0, phi must be zero. :smile:
, so it need not be included, right?

No!

A three-dimensional vector needs three coordinates …

if one coordinate is 0, you have to say so!
VinnyCee said:
Here is a more detailed version for the [itex]\rho[/itex] coordinate transformation only:

[tex]A_{\rho}\,=\,\hat{\rho}\,\cdot\,\overrightarrow{A} \,=\,\left(\hat{\rho}\,\cdot\,\hat{x}\right)\,A_x\,+\,\left(\hat{\rho}\,\cdot\,\hat{y}\right)\,A_y\,+\,\left(\hat{\rho}\,\cdot\,\hat{z}\right)\,A_z\,=\,A_x\,cos\,\phi\,+\,A_y\,sin\,\phi[/tex]

Is that incorrect?

No, that is correct … the other one is wrong.

Isn't that the same expression as in post #1 for Aρ ?

Last edited:
Redbelly98 said:
Isn't that the same expression as in post #1 for Aρ ?

ah … I meant the phi-coordinate [tex]A_{\phi}\,=\,\hat{\phi}\,\cdot\,\overrightarrow{A}\,=\,-A_x\,sin\,\phi\,+\,A_y\,cos\,\phi[/tex] is wrong. :wink:

Um, if we use the convention that φ's unit vector points counterclockwise, and φ is taken counterclockwise from the positive x-axis, then I agree with VinnyCee's formula.

So, does that mean that the original post contains the correct answer? Or is the [itex]Q_{\phi}[/itex] variable still going to be zero even though the formulas given produce the expression I wrote in the first post?

The expression written from a matrix in class is:

[tex]A_{\phi}\,=\,\hat{\phi}\,\cdot\,\overrightarrow{A} \,=\,\left(\hat{\phi}\,\cdot\,\hat{x}\right)\,A_x\,+\,\left(\hat{\phi}\,\cdot\,\hat{y}\right)\,A_y\,+\,\left(\hat{\phi}\,\cdot\,\hat{z}\right)\,A_z\,=\,-A_x\,sin\,\phi\,+\,A_y\,cos\,\phi[/tex]

Since...

[tex]\hat{x}\,\cdot\,\hat{\phi}\,=\,-\,sin\,\phi[/tex]

[tex]\hat{y}\,\cdot\,\hat{\phi}\,=\,cos\,\phi[/tex]

[tex]\hat{z}\,\cdot\,\hat{\phi}\,=\,0[/tex]

Right?

Last edited:
sorry!

Redbelly98 said:
Um, if we use the convention that φ's unit vector points counterclockwise, and φ is taken counterclockwise from the positive x-axis, then I agree with VinnyCee's formula.
VinnyCee said:
So, does that mean that the original post contains the correct answer?

Hi VinnyCee and Redbelly98! :smile:

Yes, I completely mis-read the original question.

Your original answer was totally right.

Please ignore my previous posts.

Sorry. :redface:

What is the process for transforming a vector from Cartesian to Cylindrical coordinates?

The process for transforming a vector from Cartesian to Cylindrical coordinates involves using a set of equations to convert the x, y, and z components of the vector into the corresponding r, θ, and z components. These equations are r = √(x² + y²), θ = arctan(y/x), and z = z. This will give the vector's magnitude and direction in cylindrical coordinates.

Why would someone want to transform a vector from Cartesian to Cylindrical coordinates?

Transforming a vector from Cartesian to Cylindrical coordinates can be useful in certain situations, such as when working with cylindrical or polar coordinate systems. It can also make calculations and visualizations easier in certain scenarios.

What are the differences between Cartesian and Cylindrical coordinates?

Cartesian coordinates use x, y, and z coordinates to describe a point in 3D space, while cylindrical coordinates use r, θ, and z coordinates. In Cartesian coordinates, r represents the distance from the origin to the point, θ represents the angle between the positive x-axis and the line connecting the origin to the point, and z represents the height of the point. In Cylindrical coordinates, x = rcosθ, y = rsinθ, and z = z.

Are there any limitations to transforming a vector from Cartesian to Cylindrical coordinates?

Yes, there are some limitations to transforming a vector from Cartesian to Cylindrical coordinates. One limitation is that the transformation is only valid for points in the first quadrant (0 ≤ θ < 2π). Another limitation is that it can be more difficult to visualize and work with vectors in cylindrical coordinates compared to Cartesian coordinates.

Can a vector be transformed from Cylindrical to Cartesian coordinates?

Yes, a vector can also be transformed from Cylindrical to Cartesian coordinates using a similar set of equations. The equations for transforming r, θ, and z into x, y, and z are x = rcosθ, y = rsinθ, and z = z. This can be useful when working with different coordinate systems or when converting between them.