Choosing physics classes, for transfer into mechatronics engineering

In summary: Ultimately, the decision on which courses to take will depend on your personal interests and strengths.
lagwagon555
Hi all. Over here (New Zealand!), a BE is 4 years long (although it's hons). The first year is not specialized, it is just general engineering. All engineers do the same first year, before choosing their specialization. I all ready know what specialization I want to do, mechatronics. I also really don't want to do any chemical engineering or biological engineering, which you have to do in the first year. Also, the entrance requirement for BE is far higher than BSc, so this is a more viable entry for me. For this reason, I'm deciding to take a different pathway.

You can do the first year of a BSc, and transfer into BE, if you have at least average of B+. You need to start year 2 a few weeks early, for a prep course, and you're assigned a staff mentor, to make the transition smooth. 'Accelerated Pathway', they call the program. This will let me study physics, then transfer straight into second year engineering (first year mechatronics). I find physics much more interesting than biological and chemical engineering. So, here's the question, which physics courses should I select to make sure I get the best preparation for mechatronics engineering? Here's what's available (these are just the relevant ones):

PHYSICS 111 Analytical Techniques in Physical Sciences 1 (maths taught by physics department)
PHYSICS 120 Physics of Energy
PHYSICS 130 Properties of Matter
PHYSICS 140 Digital Fundamentals
PHYSICS 150 Physics of Technology
PHYSICS 160 Physics for Life Sciences
PHYSICS 210 Analytical Techniques in Physical Sciences 2 (you can take this semester 2, if you complete 111 in first)
MATHS 108 General Mathematics 1
COMPSCI 101 - Principles of Programming

I need to choose 7 subjects, 4 per semester minus my general education paper (French). Here is the 'intro year' to engineering, to show what I'd be missing out on.

Mathematical Modeling 1
Introduction to Engineering Design
Engineering Mechanics
Engineering Biology and Chemistry
Materials Science
Electrical and Digital Systems
Engineering Computation and Software Development

It's ok if you don't want to plan my timetable, I don't expect anyone to. But if there are a few key papers that would be recommended, any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that the best courses for you to take in order to prepare for mechatronics engineering would be: PHYSICS 111 Analytical Techniques in Physical Sciences 1, PHYSICS 120 Physics of Energy, PHYSICS 130 Properties of Matter, PHYSICS 140 Digital Fundamentals, PHYSICS 150 Physics of Technology, MATHS 108 General Mathematics 1, and COMPSCI 101 - Principles of Programming. These courses will help you gain a good understanding of the basics of physics, math, and computer programming, which are all essential for success in mechatronics engineering. Additionally, you can also look into taking courses in electrical engineering, control systems, and robotics, as these are all important topics for mechatronics engineering.

I would highly recommend taking PHYSICS 111, 120, 130, and 140 for your first year of physics courses. These courses will provide you with a strong foundation in analytical techniques, energy, properties of matter, and digital fundamentals, all of which are essential for mechatronics engineering. Additionally, I would also recommend taking MATHS 108 and COMPSCI 101 to strengthen your mathematical and programming skills, which are crucial for success in engineering.

While it may be tempting to skip the first year of general engineering courses, I would caution against it. These courses provide a broad overview of different engineering disciplines and can help you develop important skills such as problem-solving and critical thinking. If possible, I would suggest trying to fit in at least one or two of the general engineering courses, such as Engineering Mechanics or Engineering Design, into your schedule.

Overall, my advice would be to focus on building a strong foundation in physics and mathematics, while also gaining exposure to the general principles of engineering. This will set you up for success in your future studies and career in mechatronics engineering. Best of luck to you in your academic journey!

1. What physics classes should I take for transfer into mechatronics engineering?

The specific physics classes you should take may vary depending on the transfer requirements of the university or program you are applying to. However, some common classes that are beneficial for mechatronics engineering include classical mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and thermodynamics. It is also recommended to take a course in introductory electronics or circuits.

2. Do I need to have a strong background in physics to transfer into mechatronics engineering?

While a strong foundation in physics can be beneficial, it is not always a requirement for transfer into mechatronics engineering. Some universities may have prerequisites or recommended courses in physics, but others may offer introductory courses for students who do not have a strong background in the subject.

3. Can I take physics courses at a community college and transfer them for mechatronics engineering?

Yes, many community colleges offer transferable physics courses that can be applied towards a degree in mechatronics engineering. It is important to check with the university or program you are transferring into to ensure the courses will be accepted.

4. Are there any specific physics courses that are more important for mechatronics engineering?

While all physics courses are important for a well-rounded understanding of the subject, some courses may have more relevance to mechatronics engineering. These include courses in electromechanics, control systems, and robotics. Be sure to research the specific program you are applying to for their recommended physics courses.

5. How can I prepare for physics courses before transferring into mechatronics engineering?

One way to prepare for physics courses is to take introductory courses in high school or at a community college. You can also practice problem-solving skills and familiarize yourself with fundamental physics concepts through online resources or textbooks. Additionally, reaching out to advisors or professors at the university or program you are transferring into can help you understand the expectations and prepare accordingly.